• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kflamm

kflamm

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:56 AM

I am new to underwater photography. I have a Sea & Sea DX-2G Digital Camera and Housing and would like to add a strobe. I like the concept of the dual stobe/video light of the Ikelite DS-161 Movie Substrobe, 160 w/s TTL Underwater Flash combined with a 500 Lumen LED Video Light but can not determine if the two systems are compatible. When I contacted Ikelite, they said IF I can deflect the flash up to one of our EV Manual controllers. Can anyone help me with the "IF"question before I invest in the DS-161 system?

#2 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:44 AM

While the DS-161 is the only dual purpose strobe it is not a good match for your system. You could set it up in manual mode with a controller, but it is going to be very awkward and large to deal with. They will have a new fiber optic converter out soon (January-ish) that will allow use of their strobes with all cameras using the internal flash like most other companies do.

But still the internal video light is only 500 lumins on the DS-161. I would suggest a strobe like the Sea & Sea YS-01 (or even 2 of them) and a focus video light like the Fix or SOLA 600 on the "hotshoe" mount on top of your camera. Price-wise you'll be close if not cheaper.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr