• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nwcid

Nwcid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

I have not been on here much.  We are planning a major dive trip the Red Sea this August which has given me upgrade lust.  Since this might be our only time there, I want to get the best shots I can.  

I upgraded from a well used D70 package to my D90 when I found a nice price on a used housing about 5 years ago.  My current set up is an Aquatica D90 housing with 8" dome port.  I have dual YS-250 strobes for lights.  I shoot with a Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye about 20% of the time and a Nikon 60mm Macro the other 80%.  To use the Fisheye I have to be somewhere with fairly clear water and big things I want to shoot.  What I really like about the 60mm behind the dome port is that I have a very good range of what I can shoot from very small, less then 1" critters up to large fish or turtle size critters.  I shoot in full manual and RAW. 

I am currently using a D7100 for my land shooting.  Due to other factors I am strongly considering buying a D850 in the next couple of months, that is unrelated to this trip.  

So the question becomes, do I continue to use my D90, look for a used D7100 housing, or buy a D850 housing.

D90:

Pro, I already own it. I am familiar with its function.  If I flood/damage it, it is the least expensive. 

Con, It is a 10 year old camera and while it works well I would like to do better.  There was an obvious difference going from my D70 to D90. 

D7100:

Pro, Uses lenses I already own.  Has a function I am familiar with on land.  Still a crop sensor so familiar framing. 

Con, Looks like uses housings are few and far between. If I can not find a use housing, a new one is the same price as the D850.

D850:

Pro, Great all around camera.  Can do high end video if I want.  More dynamic range.  Better low light (we dive in cold dark water too).

Con, Need new lenses also.  New learning curve on function.  New learning curve on FF framing.  

What other things should I consider?

If it would help to see my shooting style, I have several pics from our recent Honduras trip, https://www.facebook....965/photos_all

Thank you.

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2230 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

Hey John

Hmmm, tough decision.

As you already have lenses for DX, it'd be tempting to stick with those (and the relevant domes) and go D7100 and get a housing for that. Or maybe the Nikon D500. That'd be way less expensive than going the D850 route and should still give you cracking results.

If you go D850, I'd suggest you'd need to replace the DX Nikkor 10.5 with either the FX Sigma 15mm or the FX Nikkor 8-15. You could use the 8" dome with the Sigma; I don't know about the Nikkor 8-15. Others will I'm sure advise.

And you'd also need to get, I'd suggest, a Nikkor 105mm rather than the 60mm; and a suitable dome. The 60mm is great with DX but, in my view, too short for FX. 

I obviously don't know to what degree money/cost is an issue, but I doubt you could find a D850 housing below full cost - but you should be able to find D7100 housings around either new or second hand; other FX housings too.

Other thoughts: if you decide to go the FX route, bear in mind if you want a rectilinear option (say the Nikkor 16-35) you'd need a bigger dome to get good edge sharpness (a 230 dome). And then FX gear tends to be bigger and heavier than DX. This impacts on moving the gear around by air and baggage limits.

Just some thoughts. I guess it'll come down to a mix of what you feel you need and the cost. And then not wanting to feel regret that you should have bought xx after you have just bought yy. Decision, decisions.  :crazy:

If you decide to go the FX route, there are a good few systems on sale through WP at the moment - including my Subal ND800/D800!  :clapping:

Most importantly, have a cracking trip to the Red Sea. There are superb wide-angle opportunities to be had there with generally clear water and great reef and wreck structures. The Sigma 15mm or the Nikkor 16-35 were on my camera constantly on my visits there. Macro much less so - in fact, after 3 recent Red Sea trips I'm not sure I'd even bother taking macro gear..... 

Good luck with the decision-making

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

Most importantly, have a cracking trip to the Red Sea. There are superb wide-angle opportunities to be had there with generally clear water and great reef and wreck structures. The Sigma 15mm or the Nikkor 16-35 were on my camera constantly on my visits there. Macro much less so - in fact, after 3 recent Red Sea trips I'm not sure I'd even bother taking macro gear.....

Hi,
there is a lot of macro, but no guides to show it like in Lembeh or Anilao.
Even pygmy seahorese and other funny stuff...

Would look for a D7100 / 7200 housing, then the other things ceep the same.
I have a D7100 too, but as a backup above water. The D500 is my primary one, but a lot more expensive...
And used housing are rare ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125, 31 January 2018 - 11:33 PM.

#4 Nwcid

Nwcid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:54 AM

Thank you for the answers so far.  As for bodies to house, it will either be my D7100 which I currently have, or the D850 I am going to be getting for the other type of photography I am expanding into.  

Of course money is always a factor, but so is longevity.  The D7100 is already a 5 year old camera, that is not to say it does not do an amazing job.  Unless I can get a used D7100 housing for probably at least less then 1/2 the price of a new one I am not sure it make sense.  Of course changing housing, and lenses gets more expensive, but it should have more longevity right?

I have been kicking around the idea of a 105mm, but I do like the flexibility the 60mm gives me.  I know that will change with the FX though, so I will be looking for something equivalent. 

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2230 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:23 AM

Thank you for the answers so far.  As for bodies to house, it will either be my D7100 which I currently have, or the D850 I am going to be getting for the other type of photography I am expanding into.  

Of course money is always a factor, but so is longevity.  The D7100 is already a 5 year old camera, that is not to say it does not do an amazing job.  Unless I can get a used D7100 housing for probably at least less then 1/2 the price of a new one I am not sure it make sense.  Of course changing housing, and lenses gets more expensive, but it should have more longevity right?

I have been kicking around the idea of a 105mm, but I do like the flexibility the 60mm gives me.  I know that will change with the FX though, so I will be looking for something equivalent. 

By my own experience, I'd say it's quite possible to find a housing for a 5-year old camera for less than 1/2 price. Even not as old as 5 years. 

As for longevity...... hmmm, problem is the camera manufacturers now come up with something shiny, new and SOOOO tempting about every 2-3 years. So define longevity  :crazy:  Lenses, yeah, no problem.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:48 AM

Hi,
you can upgrade a D7100 housing easy for a D7200,

only change the camera ;-))
I have the D7100 and if you look at dxomark.com, the D7200 gets good points ;-))
Even 3 more than the D500.....
And a used housing and a new, or maybe used, DX Nikon will be a lot cheaper than a new FX and a new FX housing and new lenses....

Regards,
Wolfgang

#7 Nwcid

Nwcid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

Sounds like I will keep an eye out for a used housing.  For some reason, inexpensive used housings for the D7100 seem few and far between.  I have only briefly looked a couple of times though. A new housing Aquatica housing for either the D7100 or D850 is ~$3000.  So unless I can find a used housing for less then 1/2 the price it does not make sense. 

If I was not planning on a D850 for my other uses, I would consider a different body. 

#8 squidpro

squidpro

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:42 PM

I recently used my new D850 in a Nauticam housing at Misool Eco Resort Indonesia.  I am very much in love with it.  I used a Nikon D2x in a Nexus housing for many years and then the same housing was retrofitted to contain the D4 although many functions were not accessible because of the retrofit.  This is my first Nauticam housing and I am very impressed with the ease of use and the vacuum system.  I used the Nikon 8-15 and the Nikon 105mm.  Fortunately my Nexus dome port with a 30mm extension and Nauticam to Nexus converter ring worked perfectly with the Nikon 8-15.  15mm was the only range that did not vignette on the shade but I didn't need any more than that.  I should be set with this rig for many years.  Of course it also required larger portable external hard drive space and bigger XQD cards.  I went from 32G to 128G.  You can actually take a pic at 15mm and turn a tiny fish into a nice looking fish portrait if you want.  So far I have not used the camera much on land.  I particularly like the availability of back button focus and the ability to easily switch between stills and video.  I use Ike 161 strobes and have not had TTL since film days so I shoot all manual camera and strobes.  Yes, I spent a lot of money but I hadn't upgraded in a long time.  I considered going to a 4/3rds camera to have less heavy equipment to haul around the world and hand hold on topside wildlife shoots but I'm glad I stuck with a DSLR.

Judy Johnson    Texas, USA