11 replies to this topic

#1 lutfu

lutfu

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:36 AM

Hello

it seems to happen a lot to me, is there a way to prevent this reflecting issue rather than filming against the sun.  Im having this from many angles unfortunately

#2 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:40 AM

Rule #1: tape all writings on the lens :)

Someone just write them with a black marker. I prefer covering them with removable tape and then write the tape with the marker.

So if one day I will sell my lens it will be intact.

PS

I used a Sony 10-18mm lens and it's worse than that: all the front ring is silver glossy!!!

Edited by Davide DB, 01 October 2015 - 12:41 AM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:21 AM

As Davide said:

a) cover the writings with a black,matte tape but be careful that it dont comes off under water and especially that it can't get get catched between the moving lens
b) paint it black with a Sharpie or similar

I personally would (and done it) paint it black

It is a common problem with some lenses with writing on the front of the lens

Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

INON have 'Anti-Ghost' stickers with their close up lenses to cover up lens markings.

I've had a look, but for the life of me can't find them for sell online separately.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5V, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2314 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

The Panasonic 7-14mm is a classic and actually you get it even without shooting into the sun.

I took a couple of slow shutter speed rear curtain stills on the thistlegorm and then I was wondering about the writings on the wreck well it was the lens

And besides the 7-14 also tends to flare. If you use tape make sure you use anti reflective gaffa tape at least you don't risk the tape becoming loose and starting to move in the port whilst you are diving

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:02 PM

I color Scotch 3M Magic Tape with a permanent black marker and use that. It doesn't leave a residue and doesn't move around.

#7 lutfu

lutfu

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

Thanks a lot guys for all the nice advices...At least one of my gh4 problem is being solved and it looks like i start to  manage to get rid of the kind of purple color a bit as well....horraaaay

Edited by lutfu, 10 October 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#8 SWink

SWink

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

What did you do to get rid purple colour cast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm, & Olypmus 14-42mm, 12-50mm 60mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#9 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:49 PM

Found this today (on a different issue - to strengthen a usb cable)

But I reckon it would work on lenses too...?

https://sugru.com/about

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5V, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#10 lutfu

lutfu

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:06 PM

Hello SWink

May be i was a bit quick to write that i started to manage to get rid of the purple color because my tryings were up to 19  20   meters.....i will try deeper today....but what i did up to 18 meters was i put it to scenery setting (it worked a bit for the custom setting as well but not the custom setting on the wheel, the custom setting in the picture setting like scenery,cine d ,cine v,custom). Then i made manual wb from something whitish.  what realy made a difference for me i put the hue setting +3 or +4  and then from white balance color chart i went a bit to greenside and a bit up may be

here in Med the water is realy blue so i dont know if it works for other places but anybody tries and writes their experiences i would be appreciated

thanks a lot

(note: when i went to 18 meters the day before the visibility was poor and tried to manual wb there, the camera couldnt make it and put a cayenne color on everything, then i went back to 12 meters and did it it worked, then i went back to 18 and playing with the wb color chart i managed to get ok ish colors....)

#11 SWink

SWink

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Lutfu - I have also been having trouble with the purple colour cast on wide angle (macro under lights doesn't seem to be such an issue) with the GH4. It seems that there is no easy fix.

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm, & Olypmus 14-42mm, 12-50mm 60mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:09 PM

I know the issue is solved for the op, but for  others, I use the Thorlab Flock sheet, which can be cut to match any lens.  All my underwater lenses have this in the front ring.  I would rather do this than a marker because if I accidentally mark the lens element, it's not easy to get the ink off!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.