• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:39 PM

So if I wanted to have a faster lens for wide angle available light with the WWL-1, I need :

1) Nauticam N85 Power Zoom Macro Port 29
2) The Panasonic f/1.7 15mm lens

Do I need some sort of 67mm to wwl-1 adapter in order to attach the wwl-1 to the Macro port 29?  

Why don't they list this as compatible in their lens chart for the panasonic I wonder?

Nauticam doesn’t test absolutely all lenses and ports. When I started using the 14-42 MKII with the 35 macro port the lens was not listed as compatible.
I don’t have the 15mm but I read that the CA values are pretty high. The CA is corrected in jpeg and left as is in raw. I would check this before buying the lens

The WWL-1 comes with its own adapter as far as I recall and the 29 port has a 67mm thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Interceptor121, 31 March 2018 - 11:43 PM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#22 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:56 AM

I think trickster too got it after my review

Yeah, I believe i did :-) So good I had to find a good copy. Lol.

Nauticam doesn’t test absolutely all lenses and ports. When I started using the 14-42 MKII with the 35 macro port the lens was not listed as compatible.

Yeah, the zoom gear and port recommendation was after your review. Perhaps someone saw it higher up at Nauticam...

The WWL-1 comes with its own adapter as far as I recall and the 29 port has a 67mm thread

It comes with a 67mm screw mount and also the Nauticam bayonet fitting, which are user swappable.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#23 uzun

uzun

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

I would only want the 15mm as a faster alternative to the 14-42mm mkii when shooting wide angle in natural light conditions at depth.  Like seven gills in a kelp forest type thing.  I have the 14-42mm and 35 macro port setup now that i use.  Does CA affect video as much as stills.  I am only really concerned with video, I dont really shoot stills UW.

-Roger

#24 amylynn829

amylynn829

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

Sorry if someone already asked this but anyone have experience with M. Zeiko ED 12-40mm f2.8 pro lens and the WWL-1 or similar? I'm thinking of going M4/3 and using that as primary lens. Would a different dome port be better? Thanks!

#25 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

Cannot use that lens with the WWL, but it is a great lens in a 170 or 180 dome if 12mm is wide enough for you.  I tested the WWL last week with the 14-42 EZ lens.  It worked fine and corners were better than eitther 7-14 lenses in a 170 or 180 dome, but overall I felt the shots looked a little soft.  In a few weeks I will test it with the Panasonic "Lumix G Vario 14-42 II lens.  My research suggests this is probably the best zoom lens for the WWL-1 unless you want the 12-50 for its macro feature.  I am a little concerned about excessive CA using the Panasonic lens on an Olympus body, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

Of course, sample to sample variability between lenses can make a big difference, so a different 14-42 Ez may have been more impressive.  I may try a different one when I can get the time, but I suspect the Panasonic will be the best choice.  I hear the 12-32 might be a good choice, but can only be used from 14 or 15mm up, so I am not sure there is much value in that.

For what it is worth, and for those looking for ultrawide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel), FOR ME, I see little value in using a lens like a 15mm in the WWL-1.  Just get the 8mm fisheye and a 100mm or 140mm dome.  If you don't like fisheye, the E-M1 ii now has a de-fish feature, although I have not tried it.

Edited by Draq, 05 April 2018 - 08:33 AM.

#26 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, I've also used the 15mm f1.7 (in my case the DJI one, but I'm pretty sure it's just a rebranded Panasonic) in the 29mm macro port. Works a treat. The WWL-1 in it's native form is a 67mm thread, so you could screw it in directly. But I think most people commonly use it in combination with Nauticam's bayonet system, which requires you to install a bayonet mount on the port and a corresponding bayonet mount on the WWL-1.

It's probably not listed in the lens chart for Panasonic because noone thought to test it? After all, with the WWL-1, they were targetting 28mm equivalent lenses, so they tested the Panasonic 14mmF2.5 initially as the prime.

Incidentally, the Olympus 25mmF1.8 also works in the Macro Port 29 in combination with the WWL-1. Field of view is something akin to an 18mm lens inside a dome port (i.e. the Olympus 9-18mm at the wide end). And I think the Olympus 45mmF1.8 also works in the same port, though I don't see why you'd want to use that on a regular basis. 

#27 nudibranco

nudibranco

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

Incidentally, the Olympus 25mmF1.8 also works in the Macro Port 29 in combination with the WWL-1. Field of view is something akin to an 18mm lens inside a dome port (i.e. the Olympus 9-18mm at the wide end).

mmm  I am wondering about the 30mm in its flat port with the wwl-1.   What FOV would that be?   :scratch:

#28 amylynn829

amylynn829

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

Cannot use that lens with the WWL, but it is a great lens in a 170 or 180 dome if 12mm is wide enough for you.  I tested the WWL last week with the 14-42 EZ lens.  It worked fine and corners were better than eitther 7-14 lenses in a 170 or 180 dome, but overall I felt the shots looked a little soft.  In a few weeks I will test it with the Panasonic "Lumix G Vario 14-42 II lens.  My research suggests this is probably the best zoom lens for the WWL-1 unless you want the 12-50 for its macro feature.  I am a little concerned about excessive CA using the Panasonic lens on an Olympus body, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

Of course, sample to sample variability between lenses can make a big difference, so a different 14-42 Ez may have been more impressive.  I may try a different one when I can get the time, but I suspect the Panasonic will be the best choice.  I hear the 12-32 might be a good choice, but can only be used from 14 or 15mm up, so I am not sure there is much value in that.

For what it is worth, and for those looking for ultrawide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel), FOR ME, I see little value in using a lens like a 15mm in the WWL-1.  Just get the 8mm fisheye and a 100mm or 140mm dome.  If you don't like fisheye, the E-M1 ii now has a de-fish feature, although I have not tried it.

Thank you for the feedback. I have also heard good things about the pani 12-32 so interested in more info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#29 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

Incidentally, the Olympus 25mmF1.8 also works in the Macro Port 29 in combination with the WWL-1. 

Now THIS sounds interesting! That f/1.8 thing is intriguing!

#30 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, motorcycling, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:51 AM

<<Do I need some sort of 67mm to wwl-1 adapter in order to attach the wwl-1 to the Macro port 29?

The WWL-1 comes with 67mm threads so it screws right on. You can add the Nauty bayonet for easier handling.

I had the WWL-1, the Oly 14-42 ez and short port. I didnt think that pancake lens was that sharp. Acceptable but not brilliant. I loved the Panny 15mm - great lens!

Im looking for a lighter weight alternative to the heavy WWL-1 to use with the Canon G7x ii. Any suggestions? Anyone try the Kraken KRL-02 with 52mm threads?

#31 rlamarche

rlamarche

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:31 PM

Hi,

I have the Pana 14-42 MK II lens with the WWL-1 and I'm verrry happy with it.

Besides the price range wich is very low compared to the WWL-1 itself, it has a better optic quality than the 14-42 PZ (pancake) for a lower price if you believe dxomark.

But the 14-42 PZ has a motorized zoom which can be useful in certain condition no ? For example smooth zoom while filming.

And the OIS on the pancake is better on paper than the 14-42 MK II (Power OIS VS Mega OIS).

My 14-42 MK II seems to have metal port but I'm not sure which part you are talking about. I bought it "alone" from a an online camera shop digit-photo.

But there is one question about the IBIS : do you think that when the WWL-1 is mounted on the lens, we should correct the focal to the equivalent focal in the settings to improve the stabilization ?

Same question for the whole "underwater" part which is modifying the angle of view.

When you mount a third party lens without focal information transmitted, the GH5 is asking for the focal.

Here a photo done with this combo on the Thistlegorm and 2 Inon strobes :

30167590_10216264516062876_1791250387426104878_o.jpg

#32 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:37 AM

Thinking of switching to WWL-1 and I discovered I have two old lenses lying in my drawer...

- Pana 14-45mm  (all metal and it came with my vintage GF1)

- Pana 14m F2.5

Could the 14-45mm be used instead of the 14-42 MKII? 

Why nobody tried the cheap and good 14mm?

Bye

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#33 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:25 AM

Thinking of switching to WWL-1 and I discovered I have two old lenses lying in my drawer...

- Pana 14-45mm  (all metal and it came with my vintage GF1)
- Pana 14m F2.5

Could the 14-45mm be used instead of the 14-42 MKII? 
Why nobody tried the cheap and good 14mm?

Bye

Panasonic 14-45 uses ports not compatible with the wwl-1

Panasonic 14mm would work but be a fixed optic with no zoom better off getting a fisheye

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#34 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:46 AM

Such a shame. Physically is nearly identical to 14-42 MK1 and I saw I would need a port 72.

Thanks
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#35 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:34 AM

Initially Nauticam had no support for the 14-42 mark II until I tried it and got a 3D printed gear for it then it became supported
I would check how this lens behaves if it reaches maximum length at both tele and wise you can try to fit in the 35, 45 and also in the 35+20 or 35+30
If the lens doesn’t have that behaviour and is short at wide and long at tele optical quality will be poor at wide
Let me know how you get on
Another lens that works with the WWL-1 is the 12-32mm am selling it with zoo gear this will need a 29 port but is more indicated for cameras with crop like the GH4 or the GX80/85

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#36 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

Initially Nauticam had no support for the 14-42 mark II until I tried it and got a 3D printed gear for it then it became supported
I would check how this lens behaves if it reaches maximum length at both tele and wise you can try to fit in the 35, 45 and also in the 35+20 or 35+30
If the lens doesn’t have that behaviour and is short at wide and long at tele optical quality will be poor at wide

According to Richard's opinion it's the best zoom we can get.

#37 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1822 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

I tested all lenses time ago from Panasonic range on land based on that the 14-42mm mark II gives the best optical quality however in terms of ergonomics the power zoom has some benefits for video it really depends
Definitely I am not interested in fixed length lenses

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog