5 replies to this topic

#1 RuudStelten

RuudStelten

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hi all,

after a long wait, I finally got my new INON Z-330 strobes in today. I'd like to take them on a dive tomorrow, but INON didn't include any o-ring lubricant with their strobes. Is it possible to use Nauticam lubricant on the yellow INON o-rings?

Thanks!

Edited by RuudStelten, 07 November 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:06 PM

The lubricant that Inon supplies for those yellow o-rings is a clear silicon which is pretty much common. It is very different from the white Nauticam stuff.

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:06 PM

Yes, this has been covered a zillion times. Nauticam grease is safe for any type of o-ring.

BIll

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 RuudStelten

RuudStelten

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:05 PM

Thanks Bill! I was just a bit confused and wanted to double check, because I read your post from 2014 explaining that Nauticam grease is compatible with all types of o-rings, but some nitrile o-rings can swell with fluorosilicone grease (don't know if the INON o-rings are made of nitrile). I wasn't sure if the Nauticam grease, which you mention is perfluoro, is the same as fluorosilicone...

Edited by RuudStelten, 07 November 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Sorry for not being clear. The Nauticam grease is a perfluoro-ether based grease and is neither silicone or fluorosilicone. It is good for any kind of o-rings. Nitrile can swell with lots of things, but not the perfluoro-ethers. 

Cheers

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:37 AM

I'd email the shop. INON normally includes grease with strobes and even with their torches.