• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Halcyon

Halcyon

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:11 PM

This picture was taken off the central coast of Peru (Pucusana - Lima to be more precise). I've seen this fish several times before, but have not been able to ID it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Images

• IMG_3066_F.jpg

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:19 AM

I know nothing about Pacific fishes, but I wonder if this might be a juvenile something or other.  Many times juveniles have very different coloration than their adult forms.

Panasonic Lumix GH5, Small HD, Nauticam
Public Safety Diver

#3 Halcyon

Halcyon

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:49 AM

That is indeed a possibility to consider. Some local diver, who has not been able to totally id yet, told me it was from the Pomacentridae family and that locals call it a Zaphire Damselfis, which would id it as a Chrysiptera springeri...but further research indicates that he would be in the wrong part of the world as it's registered as only inhabiting the western pacific in tropical waters, unlike oour cold waters here in the southeastern pacific.

#4 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

Hi,
young damsel fishes are hard to id....
Because you said Peru, 
Chromis alta?
The Saphir Demoisell would be Chrysiptera cyanea,
but my book is old ;-)) still wrong side of the ocean...
Microspathodon dorsalis?

The problem is as well that some names / failies were changed after genetic analysis...

Good luck,
Wolfgang

#5 chowe

chowe

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Could be a Juvenile Giant Damselfish, Microspathodon dorsalis.  I've seen these in the Galapagos and also the Sea of Cortez.  The iridescent blue spots and lines look right and also the lighter blue edge on the ventral and anal fins, although I've not seen one where the rest looks exactly like yours.  On the ones I've seen the rest of the fish had dark blue scales outlined in black.

Craig

#6 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

Could be a Juvenile Giant Damselfish, Microspathodon dorsalis.  I've seen these in the Galapagos and also the Sea of Cortez.  The iridescent blue spots and lines look right and also the lighter blue edge on the ventral and anal fins, although I've not seen one where the rest looks exactly like yours.  On the ones I've seen the rest of the fish had dark blue scales outlined in black.

Craig

Fishbase.org is comfortable with seeing the Giant Damselfish off Peru....the ID looks pretty good for a juvenile.

#7 Halcyon

Halcyon

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

Final ID (99.9%) is that of a juvenile Microspathodon dorsalis (Giant Damselfish).

Thanks to everybody for their collaboration.