• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2205 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:24 AM

Heartfelt thanks to all the amazing members of this community that share their information so freely. You are all awesome!

I hope that 2018 is an amazing year for you. May your dives be safe, and enjoyable and your subjects plentiful!

hny_18_600.jpg

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 Jess6qb9

Jess6qb9

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Hi Adam,

I recently upgraded from a compact mirrorless camera to the Nikon D500.  I am about to go on a trip to Anilao and use the system underwater for the first time.  In April I will be going to Socorro.  I was wondering if you could recommend lenses.  I often watch youtube videos recommending lenses for this camera but these videos are from land shooters. I know land performance doesn't always correlate  with underwater performance.  I purchased the tokina 10-17 with a 170mm dome and and Nikon 105mm.  I feel like I should have he 60mm as well? I was just curious all the lenses you would recommend.  I am interested in some lenses for land too but would prefer to get lenses that I would also be able to use underwater. Many of the youtubers recommend full frame lenses on DX cameras.  Is that possible underwater?  One youtube guy said the 12-24 Nikon lens is way better than the 10-24 but I saw you mention that doesn't translate underwater.  You seem to be so knowledgable about the lens performance underwater and I am so overwhelm will all the information out there.  I also was wondering if I can use D series Nikkor lens underwater or do they have to be G series? 

Thanks for all you posts.  The information is so helpful!

Jess

#3 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:07 AM

If I may chime in: for Soccoro the best fit IMO would be the Nik 16-35 and a Sigma 15mm f/2.8, the latter for the close Giant Mantas at St. Benedito. No Macro lens needed.

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1994 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

Hey Jess

I've just got back from Anilao and used a Nikon D500 system there too - so maybe this might help a bit.

I've used both DX (Nikon D300 and D500) and FX (Nikon D800), the Nikkors 60 and 105, 16-35 (FX), 12-24 (DX) and the Tokina 10-17.

If you are new to SLR photography underwater, you might find that the 105 on DX takes some getting used to. Many people kick off their DX macro SLR photography with the 60mm. But that does not mean at all that you shouldn't go with the 105. It just takes, as I say, a bit of getting used to - where is the subject! I used a 105 in Anilao all the time and found it just terrific with the D500.

You are right, lenses that work well topside do not necessarily work well underwater - well this is true of wide-angle lenses at least. Perhaps not true for non-wide-angle. I think the Tokina 10-17 is excellent underwater with DX but, for me, horrible topside. I really liked the 12-24 with my D300 but many reviewers will tell you that this is now dated. I've read too the 10-24 is much better (check out KenRockwell.com) but, again, maybe topside. With DX underwater I'd stick with your Tokina and find something else for topside: maybe that 10-24.

Full frame wide-angle on DX? Sure, but you are paying for a bigger lens for little purpose; and the DX will reduce the field of view by, for Nikon DX, x1.6 times. So for example a Nikkor FX 16-35 on DX would produce approx a 25-45mm lens - not very wide.

For an FX macro, it's the same thing. The 105mm macro becomes roughly a 160mm on a D500 - and that 60mm a 95mm lens. Not really a drawback fro macro photography (maybe even a big advantage) but it explains why using the 105mm on DX is slightly tricky: you're effectively using a 160mm lens. 

D series? G series? Don't worry about it. If memory serves me correctly, D series Nikon lenses tend to be the older ones. Either D or G is not an issue for your D500. 

It is indeed a confusing business but, in my view, you can't really go wrong with the Tokina 10-17 and a 105mm in Anilao. I'm sure you'll have a great time! A couple of 105mm pics attached to give you an idea.

Attached Images

• TG45848.jpg
  • TG46047.jpg

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2205 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Jess,

If you repost your query as a topic in the appropriate forum, I'm sure you will get lots of responses. I doubt anyone will see it in a happy New Year post from me!

For what it is worth, Juerg's advice would be valid if the D500 is a full frame camera. As it has a cropped sensor, the lenses he recommends will not be optimal.

Try reposting it into the the Digital SLRs/Housings forum: http://wetpixel.com/...hp?showforum=18

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook