• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:25 AM

I use this lens topside with my GH5 and it is great. I know is compatible with the nauticam 7” dome but am unsure if you can zoom through
The focal range is very interesting as it gets to 120mm and with ex tele you have a further 1.4 zoom in 4K with a working distance of 24cm. It covers 36mm horizontally as minimum.
I have an upcoming trip to Egypt (turtles dolphins and hopefully dugongs) but except turtles nothing coming to near and am considering this lens because it has great stabilisation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 29 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

I was extremely interested in this lens when specing my new GH5 setup.  I contacted Nauticam about it, and was told the "Panasonic 12-60 is fantastic, but it doesn't play as nicely with macro optics due to the lens' physical construction with lots of movement through the zoom range."

So, I ended up up with the 12-42 PZ lens, with the WWL-1 instead.  So, I have no experience with that lens, but would be very curious about it, if you decide to try it,

Hope that helps.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

I was extremely interested in this lens when specing my new GH5 setup.  I contacted Nauticam about it, and was told the "Panasonic 12-60 is fantastic, but it doesn't play as nicely with macro optics due to the lens' physical construction with lots of movement through the zoom range."

So, I ended up up with the 12-42 PZ lens, with the WWL-1 instead.  So, I have no experience with that lens, but would be very curious about it, if you decide to try it,

Hope that helps.

The comment from Nauticam is a bit cryptic!
Clearly this lens is not fit for a flat port the lens extends a lot

I just need to know if you can zoom through or not at tele end the lens is 168mm equivalent with ex tele on the GH5 so if the port works it will be interesting
The focus distance moves only 4cm further at full zoom whilst the angle of view gets narrower so the lens could work
I have asked ReefPhoto no answer yet

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

Hope that helps.

Also I read now your original post on winter musing. The 12-60mm with dome is not a solution for macro dive. For those you would need a flat port and in my view unless you want to dive with a 60mm the 14-42MKII or Power Zoom plus diopters. So if you want one combination that covers everything possible with a single lens this is a 14-42 with flat port and wet lenses

I already have the 35 macro port and I have wet lenses however as I am considering the 8-18mm that needs the 7" port I was thinking of housing the leica lens too.

This lens is a better lens than any of the 14-42 zoom lenses and although it won't do macro as the 14-42 with diopters it will be ok for reef scenes with medium size fish not for wreck and not for macro but for plenty other options in the mid-range a better choice

Surely not exhaustive choice and not compatible with wet lenses but same holds for the 12-35mm and all larger zoom lenses of higher quality

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

Reef just came back to me the lens works fine through the zoom range so this gets very interesting for me

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:18 AM

I use this lens topside with my GH5 and it is great. I know is compatible with the nauticam 7 dome but am unsure if you can zoom through
The focal range is very interesting as it gets to 120mm and with ex tele you have a further 1.4 zoom in 4K with a working distance of 24cm. It covers 36mm horizontally as minimum.
I have an upcoming trip to Egypt (turtles dolphins and hopefully dugongs) but except turtles nothing coming to near and am considering this lens because it has great stabilisation

I have just dived with the this lens housed in the 7 dome. I havent done any editing yet. The lens works fine behind the dome with the correct port extension (Im using my pana 12-35mm 2.8 mkii setup). Not as easy to setup as the 12-35mm cause it is a bit wider.
Actually, it is very good for closeups behind the dome and this the main reason I prefer over 12-35mm. The only downside is that Nauticam doesnt have a manual focus gear for it as told by reefphoto.

Edited by thani, 29 August 2018 - 11:19 AM.

Best Regards,
Thani

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:43 AM

I have just dived with the this lens housed in the 7 dome. I havent done any editing yet. The lens works fine behind the dome with the correct port extension (Im using my pana 12-35mm 2.8 mkii setup). Not as easy to setup as the 12-35mm cause it is a bit wider.
Actually, it is very good for closeups behind the dome and this the main reason I prefer over 12-35mm. The only downside is that Nauticam doesnt have a manual focus gear for it as told by reefphoto.

So you have the 6” dome with extension? The 7” should work without
I thought the lens was too big for the 6” but I have not actually tried to fit it in...

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#8 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:19 AM

Also I read now your original post on winter musing. The 12-60mm with dome is not a solution for macro dive. For those you would need a flat port and in my view unless you want to dive with a 60mm the 14-42MKII or Power Zoom plus diopters. So if you want one combination that covers everything possible with a single lens this is a 14-42 with flat port and wet lenses

I already have the 35 macro port and I have wet lenses however as I am considering the 8-18mm that needs the 7" port I was thinking of housing the leica lens too.

This lens is a better lens than any of the 14-42 zoom lenses and although it won't do macro as the 14-42 with diopters it will be ok for reef scenes with medium size fish not for wreck and not for macro but for plenty other options in the mid-range a better choice

Surely not exhaustive choice and not compatible with wet lenses but same holds for the 12-35mm and all larger zoom lenses of higher quality

Exactly right, that is why I decided on the 14-42 PZ lens with WWL-1 and my current Subsea +5 diopter, both on bayonet mounts.  The plan is to try and get back the flexibility that I had with the camcorder plus flip diopters.  I have not had a chance to get the rig wet yet, though, so we will see how well it all works out.

I will still be interested in your and Thani's thoughts on the 12-60, though.  It should be interesting.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#9 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:19 AM

So you have the 6” dome with extension? The 7” should work without
I thought the lens was too big for the 6” but I have not actually tried to fit it in...

I have the 7” glass dome which needs an addition extension port. If you are taking about the acrylic 7”, it might be a different setup.
Double check with ReefPhoto before you buy. The setup I have today works with the pany12-35mm and the 12-60 Leica as well.
Best Regards,
Thani

#10 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:25 AM

I have the 7” glass dome which needs an addition extension port. If you are taking about the acrylic 7”, it might be a different setup.
Double check with ReefPhoto before you buy. The setup I have today works with the pany12-35mm and the 12-60 Leica as well.

Ah ok
I have already the Nauticam 6” dome and a 30mm extension so I can try it out my guess is it will work fine with the 12-60mm but not so well with the 8-18mm
Do you use the N85 Nauticam mini extension 30 or the n120 to n85 60mm?

Edited by Interceptor121, 30 August 2018 - 04:33 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#11 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:44 AM

Ah ok
I have already the Nauticam 6” dome and a 30mm extension so I can try it out my guess is it will work fine with the 12-60mm but not so well with the 8-18mm
Do you use the N85 Nauticam mini extension 30 or the n120 to n85 60mm?

nau.36052 - Nauticam N85 to N120 47mm Port Adaptor with Knob for M4/3. I bought this originally for the 12-35mm 2.8 lens with manual focus gear and the 180mm glass dome.
Best Regards,
Thani

#12 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:29 AM

nau.36052 - Nauticam N85 to N120 47mm Port Adaptor with Knob for M4/3. I bought this originally for the 12-35mm 2.8 lens with manual focus gear and the 180mm glass dome.

OK so you are using the same solution of the Nauticam port chart for the 12-35mm

36052 47mm N85 to N120 + 21120 20mm extension ring with lock + 180mm glass dome

instead of

36401 55m N85 o N120 + 21110 10mm extension ring with screws + 180mm glass dome

Practically 67 vs 65 mm extension which means the 12-60mm fits into the 6" dome without any extension what is the optical quality is another story

I also believe the Panasonic 8-18mm would fit the 6 Dome with 30 Extension based on same reasoning

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#13 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

Reef photo kindly offered to take a side by side
IMG_0989.JPG

From what I can see the 6 wide angle port is less curved this can still work fine with the 12-60 provided you find the ideal distance. The 7” port is 35mm longer so you need a 30mm extension
The good news is I have both 6 dome and 30 extensions so will run some tests soon

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#14 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:11 AM

The question is whether the lens will physically fit through the 30mm mini extension which I doubt as I know the 12-40 doesn't (and this is narrower than the 12-60). The mount on the 7" dome is narrower aluminium rather than the standard plastic bayonet on the mini extensions with lock.

A

Ibid the 8-18mm. I don't think it will fit through the mini extension ring.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#15 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:43 AM

The question is whether the lens will physically fit through the 30mm mini extension which I doubt as I know the 12-40 doesn't (and this is narrower than the 12-60). The mount on the 7" dome is narrower aluminium rather than the standard plastic bayonet on the mini extensions with lock.

A

That’s a good point am going back home in two days and will try out
The ring also has to fit the zoom gear
I have not decided to invest in the 8-18 yet I would use that lens for wreck interiors and blue water fish still images not for video

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#16 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:18 AM

The 8-18 does not even fit through the extension ring without zoom or focus gear, let alone with gear installed.... 

#17 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:25 AM

The 8-18 does not even fit through the extension ring without zoom or focus gear, let alone with gear installed.... 

8-18 not in scope for now so am left with 6” for 12-60mm and no extension...

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#18 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:21 AM

8-18 not in scope for now so am left with 6” for 12-60mm and no extension...

Quick update as expected the leica 12-60mm works fine with the 6” wide angle port. I have tried also the mini extension 30 the lens fits in it however am unsure the gear will because of the secure latch that holds the extension to the master port.
I will post some shots when I have a minute to compare extension and straight port
In terms of sharpness I took some shots at f/2.8 from what I see performance is more than satisfactory

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#19 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:24 PM

OK so you are using the same solution of the Nauticam port chart for the 12-35mm
36052 47mm N85 to N120 + 21120 20mm extension ring with lock + 180mm glass dome
instead of
36401 55m N85 o N120 + 21110 10mm extension ring with screws + 180mm glass dome

Practically 67 vs 65 mm extension which means the 12-60mm fits into the 6" dome without any extension what is the optical quality is another story

I also believe the Panasonic 8-18mm would fit the 6 Dome with 30 Extension based on same reasoning

Interesting findings. Why would Nauticam recommend a 2mm shorter extension (67-65) for the longer Leica lens with the same 180mm (7) glass dome port? Does this make since?
Best Regards,
Thani

#20 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:59 PM

Interesting findings. Why would Nauticam recommend a 2mm shorter extension (67-65) for the longer Leica lens with the same 180mm (7) glass dome port? Does this make since?

Sell more parts? Don’t really know 2mm are unlikely to make a substantial difference. Ergonomics maybe? How does it work for you?
On paper considering the port is the same it doesn’t matter.
Likewise for the 6” wide angle port it works anyway and is more compact than the 7”. Will you see a difference between them with the 12-60mm? I don’t think so. 12mm is not that wide and Nauticam is happy to recommend 3.5” wide angle ports with extensions for other olympus 12mm lens. Port size has to do with focus distance and all those lenses focus pretty close so don’t need large domes

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog