#1 BC-SeaDragon

BC-SeaDragon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:DIVING!

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi All,

Yet another last minute trip that I need some guidance on. Heading to Mallorca, Spain for a few days and curious where to dive. I'm sure its not spectacular but any suggestions of where to go and with who would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kelly

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Well I've only dived there once in 3 trips. Never brought my big cameras there because I'm not a big cave and wreck fan and the cave and wrecks are the best things in Mallorca. My semi-local friend only dives the south west sites where they are protected MPAs or the caves. I didn't write the sites down but if I remember correctly, we had to go to the little islets around the big island. Saw some octo, breem, goatfish, cuda etc. Typical Med fare.
Can't help you with ops as my friends has all the gear and boat. Sorry. I can say that you should choose the ops with a covered boat. I saw dive ops with RIB and uncovered boats and it got pretty hot even for the 20-30min rides. Have fun!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Hi Kelly,

I visited Majorca (Santa Ponsa-2005) once and did a few dives in it (not alot-but just enough to get a flavour..I was not a camera person then tho', so the only images I have are in my head!!)
I really enjoyed the dives I did do ....and I dived with these guys. ....www.divingzoea.com

I also dived the marine park called Cabrera- it was fabulous! Lovely Mediteranean sea-scapes, caves, visibility, life etc etc.

[url="http://divingzoea.com%5b/url%5d(the%20dive%20center%20then%20...was%20run%20by%20Louis%20Royo-%20a%20gentleman)If%20you%20are%20based%20near%20Santa%20Ponsa-%20do%20try%20and%20get%20out%20on%20a%20day%20trip%20to%20the%20marine%20reserve%20areas.%20eg.%20%5burl="http://divingzoea.com/marine-reserves-majorca-cabrera.php"]http://divingzoea.com/marine-reserves-majorca-cabrera.php[/url]

I would say Majorca has alot to offer as a dive destination- actually, any of the Baleriac islands are lovely for diving IMHO.

Hope this helps, and have a great trip!

Damo

Edited by Damo, 26 April 2012 - 01:09 AM.

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Mallorca as all of the Mediterranean islands have mostly excellent viz between 70 and 100 ft and nice deep blue waters,
and depending on the location spectacular seascapes. Except in some of the AMP (Marine Parks) there is usually
not so much bigger fishes to see but a lot of small size fishes and especially nudibranch and other macro stuff.
As you are already there i suggest you to do some dives there but as i never dove the Balearic islands i have no
hint where to go or what dive operation.
Enjoy your trip!
Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#5 SharkyShark

SharkyShark

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:15 AM

Tips for diving in Mallorca in winter? Best sites? We are going this week and are keen on sealife rather than wrecks. Cheers