• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

Have a torn MCL and need some support to stabilize the knee while it heels. Already borrowed some Volos for the soft resistance blade. Just wondering if anyone uses a knee brace and if it does help with finning at all or should I just use the wetsuit. My surfer buddies swear by the bodyglove ones:

Body Glove Knee brace

But that's surfing and I don't need that much knee support once in the water. May have to walk about 20m with gear which is what I may need the brace for.
Thanks for any advice for a brand new hobbler. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

From one 'raspberry' to another, welcome to the club!

Yup, I used to wear a brace outside of the suit just to provide lateral stability. That was more for the entries and exits rather than for finning which for me, is a lazy frog kick or even an ankle rotation.

For those not born within earshot of 'Bow Bells' a "Rasberry" is Cockney rhyming slang for cripple - a "Raspberry Ripple" LOL.

Hope the knee gets better soon. Physio and ultra-sound treatment is well worth the effort.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Tim.
I need to fin to chase subject. Might have to go back to hard fins if the Volos got no go.
Is there any reason why you wear it on the outside, other than ease? I was thinking of getting those patella holed ones and wearing it on the inside.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

I often joke that my business has funded a new wing at the Reno Orthopedic Clinic...

Anyway, I am lucky that my multiple knee injuries don't impact diving. However, I do have a custom Henderson wetsuit made for water skiing; it is sized to fit over my knee brace, and has a zipper down the back of the leg from the ankle to just above the brace.

All the best, James

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

Drew, I'm far from up to speed with the latest orthopaedic appliances but when I used one 15 years ago it was a steel hinged and velcro affair which most certainly needed to be outside of the wet / dry suit.

Modern developments may have improved this but actually, I quite like the idea of a 'bolt on accessory' rather than it being an intergral part of 'me' under the suit. The important issues are to feel comfortable and confident with the lateral support which the 'appliance' provides and which does not create any 'reliance' while your ligaments are healing or your surrounding muscle groups are developing to compensate. I'm sure your ortho surgeon / physio has given all this to you and more...

Hoping you are back to 100%. Take care, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#6 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

I periodically wear "Ossur" brand knee braces. When I was fitted for them, I was told that many users wear them surfing and diving. Just be sure to fully rinse in fresh water after use. Have not taken them diving yet!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#7 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:35 AM

Have a torn MCL and need some support to stabilize the knee while it heels. Already borrowed some Volos for the soft resistance blade. Just wondering if anyone uses a knee brace and if it does help with finning at all or should I just use the wetsuit. My surfer buddies swear by the bodyglove ones:

Sorry about the knee, get well quickly. I have tweaked my knee a couple of times where it was pretty painful/sore and have worn various knee braces similar to that one and it helped alot when I thought I would not be able to dive, though nothing as bad as a torn MCL where I was going to chase subjects. Was easier diving though some currents from time-to-time....

#8 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

HI

I dove for several years wearing a variety of leg braces after having surgeries to repair my mcl, acl and patella tendon. The neoprene one with the doughnut in it always felt strange in the water especially under the wetsuit. The best way I compensated was to have my leg taped by a sports physio properly so it supports the areas of movement that the ligament would normally follow. Then I would tubigrip it and wear it under my wetsuit. Main thing was getting in and out of the water, kicking was never an issue once I was underwater. I still have to do this sometimes.
Hope this helps and good luck for the dive.
Karen
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#9 JohnLiddiard

JohnLiddiard

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Freelance photographer and journalist working mostly for Diver Magazine. Lots of UK wreck diving, but also like to travel and snap pretty marine life. Rebreathers.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

I had a badly twisted ankle and did every dive on a week's liveaboard using duct tape to strap my ankle into a finning position and hold it there. About 3 wraps of tape in a figure 8 did the job.

I also regularly wear a back support under a drysuit.
Freelance photographer and journalist working mostly for Diver Magazine.

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

I periodically wear "Ossur" brand knee braces. When I was fitted for them, I was told that many users wear them surfing and diving. Just be sure to fully rinse in fresh water after use. Have not taken them diving yet!

Thanks. My ortho also recommended that but I didn't want to look like Robocop. However I broke down and got a CTI and I'm doing a pool test tomorrow. Hopefully insurance will approve reimbursement.

Drew