• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 a.neffx

a.neffx

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

I am new to the underwater photography world (aside from GoPro's). I enjoy Macro shots and I am currently looking for a nice setup to start dedicating trips to underwater photography. I would prefer something that could be used on land as well. not too bulky. 

I have been interested in the Olympus E-M1 and the RX100 as they both fit my needs. obviously, the M1 has the ability to grow in the hobby a lot more than the RX. so that decision is based more on pricepoint.

Would be looking for something within the next 2 months. Thank you for considering.

Alex

#2 swgdesign

swgdesign

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

I will most likely have an rx100 and natuciam housing for sale in the next 1-2 months, will come with tray tray arms, nauticam Fisheye lens and macro lens. NO strobes!

#3 a.neffx

a.neffx

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

SWG - sent you a PM

#4 h2onutz

h2onutz

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:40 AM

I've retired from scuba diving and underwater photography. I have Olympus E-520 camera with the housing, two different ports, 14-42 lens, 50mm macro lens, two Inon strobes, all the arms, chargers, batteries, cards, and case. Everything from soup to nuts in excellent working condition. If you are interested I can send photos and additional information.

#5 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

I've got an rx100ii with nauticam housing, idas tray, wide and macro wet lenses and possibly a strobe which I will be putting up for sale shortly, if you are interested?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

#6 swgdesign

swgdesign

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:43 AM

I also have an rx100, nauticam housing, flexitray, fisheye and macro lenses for sale - £1000!

Please see my post or message me.

#7 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, film photography, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

I have a Sony RX100 ii, Nauticam housing available. Very good shape. It's thought the mark I and II were preferable for macro. USD 700 plus shipping and insurance.

The Olympus would be better for macro and ultimately more flexible, but the trade off is the size of the housing.

#8 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:25 PM

I have a Sony RX100 ii, Nauticam housing available. Very good shape. It's thought the mark I and II were preferable for macro. USD 700 plus shipping and insurance.

The Olympus would be better for macro and ultimately more flexible, but the trade off is the size of the housing.

The rx100 without a macro wet lens is completely useless at macro. The working distance with the normal zoom is quite frankly only good for medium to large subjects.

#9 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, photography, film photography, current events, progressive politics, science, medicine, ADA issues, service dogs.

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:44 AM

The rx100 without a macro wet lens is completely useless at macro. The working distance with the normal zoom is quite frankly only good for medium to large subjects.

I agree. That said, if your interest is macro, and you want a compact body, I think Canon's G series are pretty good right out of the box.

#10 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:04 AM

I agree. That said, if your interest is macro, and you want a compact body, I think Canon's G series are pretty good right out of the box.

Yep! G series is pretty good. Having said that, if you have a macro wet lens with the rx100 it can compete with larger mirrorless imo.

#11 a.neffx

a.neffx

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

I ended up with a Sony Nex 5 setup with all Nauticam macro and wide angle gear for $750. It'll get me started in the hobby without too much invested and still have a decent on land camera with lens flexibility. Thank you for the help!

#12 Humu797

Humu797

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

I hear great things about Sony. Good luck, and remember to get get close, shoot full-frame and don't kill the reef under your fins. ;-)
I hear great things about Sony. Good luck, and remember to get get close, shoot full-frame and don't kill the reef under your fins. ;-)

#13 swgdesign

swgdesign

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

I ended up with a Sony Nex 5 setup with all Nauticam macro and wide angle gear for $750. It'll get me started in the hobby without too much invested and still have a decent on land camera with lens flexibility. Thank you for the help!

You definitely robbed someone if you got all that for $750! The housing alone is worth that 2nd hand...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olympus, m1, rx100, wtb