• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mdrabolli

mdrabolli

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

Im a pilot with American and we overnight in the Plaza resort http://www.plazareso....com/locate.htm

I believe that the dive site 18 Palms is the shore dive from the hotel. http://www.skin-dive...e/section5.html

It will have to be a night snorkel since I usually arrive at 8pm and leave too early to make sufficient dives. Anyone know this hotel and the surrounding dives that can be walked to? Love any info you have as well as the night creatures here? Thanks.

#2 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:27 PM

From the hotel and pretty much anywhere along the coast to your North should be good fun. The wall starts at around 30 feet but there is plenty in the shallows - especially my guys (cephalopods). Our work featured on the Discovery Channel special "Tentacles" was filmed just up the coast from you (Sanddollar area). The town pier is good fun but keep an eye out for boat traffic. The shallows near the shore are good, esp for octopuses and anemonies (almost everyone will have shimp(s) in them - good macro fun).
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page

#3 mdrabolli

mdrabolli

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the good info! I would like the town peir but I heard that the dockmaster has to give permission for shore dives and only when accompanied by a divemaster? Otherwise i would definatley go to town pier. I'd love to see the documenary you mentioned JamesWood. I didnt realize the wall dropoff started at 30 feet! That can't be far from the shore. A little spooky on a night snorkel:) Anyway its good to know about heading north along the beach and I'll check into it!

#4 JamesWood

JamesWood

Wolf Eel

• Scientific Photo Expert
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the good info!  I would like the town peir but I heard that the dockmaster has to give permission for shore dives and only when accompanied by a divemaster?  Otherwise i would definatley go to town pier.  I'd love to see the documenary you mentioned JamesWood.  I didnt realize the wall dropoff started at 30 feet!  That can't be far from the shore.  A little spooky on a night snorkel:) Anyway its good to know about heading north along the beach and I'll check into it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Tentacles" is on the Discovery Channel and I think you can buy it and the other 3 in the Blue Realm series for a modest price.

I have not been to Bonaire since 03 so I may not know the lattest.

The wall I'm sure hasn't moved and isn't far offshore (100m?), especially from the many hotels north of you.

Cheers,

James
Dr. James B. Wood
Associate Director of the Waikiki Aquarium
The Cephalopod Page

#5 clownphoto

clownphoto

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:51 PM

18 Palms is the house reef in front of the Coconut Crash bar on the beach at the Plaza....it's a great night dive as well as night snorkle! They have a very bright light right on the beachwall to help you find your way back to the edge of the breakwater wall in front of the beach entrance. You should see several large tarpon as well as lots of free-swimming eel, big crabs and lots of shrimp. Burred puffers are in abundance there at night also. It's a gentle slope down from the beach and you'll see great stuff as soon as you clear the breakwater entrance and put your face in the water! The actual wall starts at about 30' Have fun...you don't have to even go north of the Resort for some great snorkeling!

If you feel like exploring a little more, go down to the Tipsy Seagull Restaurant at the other end of the Resort and do a snorkle under the pier there also! :)

Dive Travel Services

Janet Czapski
Nikon D7000 in Aquatica housing, lots of lenses & Inon Z220's/Z240

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - Augustine

#6 Mathis

Mathis

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 03:37 PM

I might be a little late with comments ... sorry.
I have made several night dives and night snorkels off of Plaza Resort. I highly recommend it. You do not necessarily have to go to the drop off area if snorkeling. I took my kids on a 2 hour night snorkel once and never went out past where it is 15 feet deep. There is lots to see. I agree with all the previous comments. Last year I saw the tarpon during the night dive. They are attracted to your light. I saw them actually use our lights to feed. It was great.
Have fun.
Mathis Weatherall
www.weatherallphoto.com

#7 mdrabolli

mdrabolli

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:07 AM

Great tips everyone! Its not too late in posting as i just read it. Thanks for all the insight and now I have a good feel for the dive. I'll report back someday soon with the great things I saw. Thanks again. Matt