• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kiam

Kiam

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:15 AM

When shooting photos, I've read that you don't want to light the water in front of your subject due to particulate pick up. So where are you aiming your strobe? Are you extending the arm to light the subject from above or is it the angle of the strobe that's more important? Thanks for any guidance!

#2 Monkey_Knife_Fight

Monkey_Knife_Fight

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

I'm no expert but here is what i do. Macro isn't so important since there is very little water between the camera and the subject so i usually aim the strobe directly at the subject, usually from above.

For wide angle shots you're going to have more chance of backscatter. What i try to do is pull my arms out away from the camera and then aim the strobe straight forward (parallel with the lens of the camera). Some people even angle the strobe to the outside a little(though i would think this works best with 2 strobes). What you want to try to do is hit the subject with the edges of the strobe light (light from strobes goes out in cone shapes).

Of course lighting wide angle shots is something i have yet to master.

Chris

#3 Water Rat

Water Rat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:06 AM

Why do you want to light the subject with the edge of the strobe light?

#4 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1994 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:39 AM

You try to light the subject with the inner edge of your strobe so you're not lighting any of the particles between your lens and the subject. That light would bounce off those particles and show up as backscatter in your image, and you want to avoid that.

You will ofcourse still light particles behind your subject, but the impact of that is a lot less.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#5 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1634 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:15 AM

Do a search for lighting subjects, this has been discussed many times on Wetpixel. I think you'll find exactly what you want.

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#6 msboggs1

msboggs1

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:49 AM

It sounds like you may have 1 strobe??? In this case it will be better to aim it above the subject so the bottom part of the cone of light hits your subject. Check your pics in the LCD & look for blown out spots. You can also adjust the strength of the strobe. With one it still doesn't need to be way up high. Probably as high as with the old Nike arm. Just some thoughts.