• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

Anyone who is considering a mirrorless camera thinking it is as good as a dSLR should read DivePhotoGuide's review of the NEX-5.

http://www.divephoto...er-photography/

Their conclusion:

"Even at first glance, it is clear that the NEX-5 is not for SLR shooters looking to shave some excess weight off their overall kit while maintaining the same quality camera. The limited buttons, lack of lenses, and slight shutter lag will cause frustration to any experienced SLR owner"

I am NOT suggesting that the mirrorless cameras and not a good investment and an upgrade from a low-end point and shoot. What I am saying is that the current lack of lenses and slight shutter lag means that you are not near dSLR capability.

I personally recommend an Olympus e-620 and Olympus housing as a low cost dSLR. The housing is quite compact and a full range of lenses is available. The camera, while dated and the line possibly deadendes, still has no shutterlag. A rig with a much better 14/54 general purpose rig is about $1000 more that the equivilent Olympus mirrorless rig and really not much more at all than a NEX-5 rig.

Regards,

#2 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Anyone who is considering a mirrorless camera thinking it is as good as a dSLR should read DivePhotoGuide's review of the NEX-5.

http://www.divephoto...er-photography/

Their conclusion:

"Even at first glance, it is clear that the NEX-5 is not for SLR shooters looking to shave some excess weight off their overall kit while maintaining the same quality camera. The limited buttons, lack of lenses, and slight shutter lag will cause frustration to any experienced SLR owner"

I am NOT suggesting that the mirrorless cameras and not a good investment and an upgrade from a low-end point and shoot. What I am saying is that the current lack of lenses and slight shutter lag means that you are not near dSLR capability.

I personally recommend an Olympus e-620 and Olympus housing as a low cost dSLR. The housing is quite compact and a full range of lenses is available. The camera, while dated and the line possibly deadendes, still has no shutterlag. A rig with a much better 14/54 general purpose rig is about $1000 more that the equivilent Olympus mirrorless rig and really not much more at all than a NEX-5 rig.

Regards,

The Nex sucks as far as the interface goes and their lens choices are bad but it is not the only mirrorless camera out there. A lot of what you state above is just false. I have a GH2 and if you want to know how it compares to a SLR then go to DPReview and do some reading. I have a wonderful 1-1 macro and a 7-14 wide angle lens that is amazing. Those are the only two lenses I use underwater but Panny also makes a 8mm fisheye with 180 degree view that is very highly regarded as well. As far as shutter lag goes there isn't any to speak of. It's too bad so many people make claims without even knowing what they're talking about. Is it the best camera ever, no, But it is a very competent tool.
Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission.

#3 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

The Nex sucks as far as the interface goes and their lens choices are bad but it is not the only mirrorless camera out there. A lot of what you state above is just false. I have a GH2 and if you want to know how it compares to a SLR then go to DPReview and do some reading. I have a wonderful 1-1 macro and a 7-14 wide angle lens that is amazing. Those are the only two lenses I use underwater but Panny also makes a 8mm fisheye with 180 degree view that is very highly regarded as well. As far as shutter lag goes there isn't any to speak of. It's too bad so many people make claims without even knowing what they're talking about. Is it the best camera ever, no, But it is a very competent tool.

I am just back from a trip to the Solomons using my GH2 (nauticam housing) for the 1st time.
I am very happy with the GH2. Never used a DSLR underwater before but had a Nikon D80 topside.

As far as i am concerned shutter lag is a non issue. Only delay is waiting for strobes to recharge.
The video quality is amazing and i am already considering moving from stills to video.

I have the 8mm fisheye lens & 45 mm macro lens.

Overall the set up is really light/small. Everything fits into my carry on at less than 11 Kgs (including laptop)

There are a few minor issue with camera/housing
1. Battery life
2. O-rings are smaller than my old canon P&S o-rings and they seem to stretch very easy.
3. Have to remove camera and dismount bottom plate to change battery. If the btm plate was a bit smaller you would not have to do this.
4. Max shutter speed 1/160s with flash.

Other than that the housing is excellent. Expensive set up yes , but small, light, travel friendly capable of excellent stills & video.

may try to do a small review in the next few days.

Edited by Kevster, 23 August 2011 - 09:52 PM.

GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#4 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

I am just back form a trip to the Solomons using my GH2 (nauticam housing) for the 1st time.
I am very happy with the GH2. Never used a DSLR underwater before but had a Nikon D80 topside.

As far as i am concerned shutter lag is a non issue. Only delay is waiting for strobes to recharge.
The video quality is amazing and i am already considering moving from stills to video.

I have the 8mm fisheye lens & 45 mm macro lens.

Overall the set up is really light/small. Everything fits into my carry on at less than 11 Kgs (including laptop)

There are a few minor issue with camera/housing
1. Battery life
2. O-rings are smaller than my old canon P&S o-rings and they seem to stretch very easy.
3. Have to remove camera and dismount bottom plate to change battery. If the btm plate was a bit smaller you would not have to do this.
4. Max shutter speed 1/160s with flash.

Other than that the housing is excellent. Expensive set up yes , but small, light, travel friendly capable of excellent stills & video.

may try to do a small review in the next few days.

I have my GH2 in a 10Bar housing using the hot shoe to trigger my Ikelite 161 and it can take flash shots as fast as I can press the button. I'm still getting used to the concept of being able to just keep taking pictures without pausing. It's a great feature when dealing with moving fish.

I don't use the flash and have the screen go dark fairly quickly so my battery lasts longer, but I agree it is not at the top of the pack for battery life. It is easy to pop in a new one with the 10Bar housing though.

I agree on the sinc speed and wish it was higher. I'm getting used to it now though and it doesn't seem to be as anoying to me any more, at least not underwater anyway. One plus with the slower sinc speed is you need less light so the flash isn't as bright and I find less scatter, or at least it feels that way.

This was shot with the 7-14 at 8mm. I'm not sure I could get this with a P&S camera.

Posted Image
Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission.