Vivid Leak Sentinel vacuum valves

Vivid Leak Sentinel Vacuum valve Leak detector

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1994 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

A recent post about problems with the Vivid Leak Sentinel (LS) "V5" had me scooting to the Vivid website as I hadn’t heard of the V5 - I’m using the V4 having updated from the V3 a couple of years ago and must admit to being a fan.

The website revealed very little so I emailed the very helpful Miso at Vivid who explained.

I thought Wetpixel readers might be interested in what I learned. 

The V5 is a re-designed body incorporating the V4 electronics in a more compact package with a couple of new features. 

Vivid must have read my mind about the two issues on the V4 that I’d like to have seen improved: one is the brightness and ease of view of the flashing LED red (underwater heart attack time) or green (relax, all’s well).  On the V3 and V4 versions of the LS the LED was quite small and could be a little hard to see especially in brighter light.  The LED on the V5 is now much better positioned on top of the valve and significantly brighter.

Secondly, changing the battery on the V3 and V4, while not difficult and only necessary roughly after 100 hours, could take a bit of time. Not so on the V5 where a more accessible battery should make changes quicker and easier.

Miso also explained that he now has a V5 “special” edition which allows the V5 electronics to be installed inside the housing. These are connected by a thin cable to a shorter V5-style valve body incorporating the LED and pump connector. The valve assembly is screwed into a spare housing bulkhead in the usual way. This arrangement makes battery changing even easier and reduces the size of the exterior valve yet further. The electronics take up very little room in the housing. 

I have always felt that, after a magnifying viewfinder, the cost of the Leak Sentinel was arguably the best money I have spent on my housing. The sense of security and peace of mind is well worth the cost! I’ve been delighted with the way the V3/V4 works and wouldn’t now be without one fitted to my housing. 

With the improvements now built into the V5 I bit yet another bullet and ordered one.......

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

TIm - Thanks for the heads up!  I am contemplating a new housing and one of the first things I will do with it is install a Leak Sentinel.  The V5 looks like a significant improvement.  You're right that it's not on Miso's site but interestingly, Bluewater has it on their site with a photo:

https://www.bluewate...eak-sentinel-v5

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1994 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

Thanks, Robert. Yeah, I found it on a couple of u/w camera retail sites too. Miso said he needed to update the website!

My V5 is on its way. I'll do a couple of pics of the V3/4 and V5 to compare them once it arrives.

Tim
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

#4 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:04 AM

it looks higher then the V4. While the V5 look like the LED is better seen from above, I wonder how well you see it from the side. I'll stick to the V4 :-). Which I wont hesitate to recommend...

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1994 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

My V5 arrived this morning. That's 5 days to get from Vivid in Slovenia to Amsterdam. Pretty good I thought.

The V5 comes packed in a foam-fitted cardboard box with spare o-rings and batteries.  The electric pump (I said I'd give one a go) is very neat indeed (7x5x5 cms approx) and comes with a 9v battery fitted. The hand pump (my preference) is handily smaller than the V3/v4 although the fittings are the same size. The adaptor that screws into the valve has a transparent area so that you can see the flashing LED.

Here's a couple of pics to show the relative size with the V3/V4. As I said above, I went for the V5 "Special" where the electronics are inside the housing. The box contains transparent sticky pads to attach the electronics onto an inner wall of the housing.

I also took a couple of pics to try and show the relative size and intensity of the LED. I couldn't manage to get a pic with both flashing at the same time! As Cerianthus points out, the LED might be best seen from above with the V5. I can't really say yet. But I always struggled to get the V3/V4 LED angled in such a way that was easily visible when holding the housing in the usual photographing position.

But so far, a very neat package and looks good.

Attached Images

• DSC_6809.jpg
  • DSC_6811.jpg
  • DSC_6813.jpg
  • DSC_6810.jpg

Tim

#6 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

this is the V5 which is specifically made for housings like Subal's with 2 ports nearby, one to use for the Sentinel the other for e.g. a HDMI connector/cable or in my case for a 'manual flash output turning knob'. After some first hand problems works now very well. Just waiting on the new Subal ND850 now.

In front is the electronic vacuum pump (powered by an integrated 9 volt standard battery).

Sorry for the low quality of the pic (shot on iPhone for ease and quick...)

Attached Images

• IMG_6253.JPG

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#7 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

forgot to mention above: electronics PCB and small battery is inside the valve, outside of the housing

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#8 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1994 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

Juerg, any chance you could post a pic of how/where you fitted the PCB and battery inside the housing?

Tim

#9 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

here you go. The middle part is the sucker of the PCB with the blue little battery underneath. Left is the valve housing, right is the final part if the valve which is screwed into the housing port (M14 as for Subal). Pretty neat isn't it?

Attached Images

• B_11355.jpg

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com

#10 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1994 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Thanks, yeah it sure is!

Tim

#11 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Miso just sent me a detailed description of the new version of the V5 Leak Sentinel valve with the coin battery lodged inside the housing.

"I was playing with this idea for a long time, but wasn’t sure how people would respond to it. It doesn’t conform exactly with “everything enclosed in the valve body” philosophy, still, the more I was thinking about it, the harder to drop the idea, so I modified some adapters just to get it out of my head.

Although the battery is not enclosed in the valve body, but is on a cable inside the housing, I think it’s worth considering for quite a number of reasons, some of which are:

·         Valve body is much shorter than in regular V5, in fact I’m using the standalone valve body, so the whole thing is 14.5mm shorter than standard V5

·         The battery is installed inside the housing on the printed circuit similar to V4 board (at the moment I’m actually using the V4 boards until I order the dedicated ones, which will be dimensionally identical, the difference is merely cosmetic), so there’s no need to ever disassemble the unit to change the battery, so even less fuss than both V4 and V5 standard.

·         This model uses the same battery as V4, CR1632 , which is generally easier to find, cheaper, and much thinner. Otherwise the capacities of both batteries are the same. If the customer prefers the V5 style battery (CR11108) for any reason, that’s also possible, but the standard is 1632

·         Because of the configuration, two batteries can be used instead of one with a slight modification of the battery holder. By this I mean serial connection, so 6VDC instead of 3VDC, so blue and white LEDs could also be used. Many people ask me for some other color combination, either being daltonists or having some other medical condition which makes it hard, if not impossible to tell, say, red from green.

I’m attaching the drawing for your reference.  This particular drawing was made with Inon adapter, but all the V5 adapters are also available in this version. The price is the same as for V5 standard."

With the V5 being smaller and the battery inside the top of the housing, this new compact model should be even tougher, a welcome addition to my housing's safety, so I have ordered one for my Subal.  

Edited by Kraken de Mabini, 18 March 2018 - 11:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vivid, Leak Sentinel, Vacuum valve, Leak detector