• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:33 AM

This is the Episode I am at 5 meters from the box so lights have little to no effect

Keldan Spectrum filter in use no color correction in post

Edited by Interceptor121, 11 March 2019 - 07:34 AM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

Great stuff Wow!!

What version of the Keldan filters did you buy?

S1, M2 or D2 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, Jaunt DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X. GoPro Hero 7 Black.

www.richardwait.com

#3 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:24 PM

10 bit version on Vimeo in case you want to see a higher bitrate version with no blue banding lol!

Great stuff Wow!!

What version of the Keldan filters did you buy?

S1, M2 or D2 ?

Thank you Richard

This clip uses the M2 filter in combination with the ambient light filter on the 8X lights however I was too far to have any real effect. You can only notice in few moments the effect of the lights reflecting on the shark the hammerhead being black it was hard

I changed the rig the following day to maximise the lights the clip I just shared is therefore ambient light only...best yet to come lol

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#4 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

Good stuff! I believe tiger beach is THE location to use filters at haha. With a bit of grading your footage would have looked fantastic!

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:11 AM

Good stuff! I believe tiger beach is THE location to use filters at haha. With a bit of grading your footage would have looked fantastic!

I am good to get some feedback on how to improve the footage as I am new to FCPX

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:57 AM

as I am new to FCPX

Only thing I've learned is to try and stay with the builtin grading tools - having purchased ColorFinale and other tools, they all end up crashing or going weird after updates and the like.

So now just FCPX vanilla.

Forgot to add - I used to use the Alex4D Channel Mixer to great effect - but this plugin can be done via the newer builtin hue/sat curves.

Edited by thetrickster, 12 March 2019 - 03:13 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, Jaunt DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X. GoPro Hero 7 Black.

www.richardwait.com

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:22 AM

Ok for me what is important is to try and equalise the conditions between the dives
I am happy with the balance between contrast and brightness and with the filter I do not see need to saturate
But am good with feedback
So what are the weak areas of this clip?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#8 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:40 AM

Remastered if I can say so version on vimeo

I am interested in feedback from everyone

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#9 dreifish

dreifish

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:29 AM

Shallow, clear water with plenty of sunshine and white sand to bounce that sunshine and fill-in the underside of your subjects is pretty much ideal conditions for ambient-light only shooting.

There's no way a pair of Keldan 8x's with blue filters (which cuts their light output by at least one stop) would be able to put out enough light to matter in such a ambient-light rich environment. You'd need the ambient light to be at least 3 stops darker before the Keldans would begin to make a difference. 

Image quality looks nice to me. Did you shoot in cine-d, or the standard profile? Not really sure that there's anything here that color-grading could add. You could increase the contrast a bit by brightening the whites perhaps, but it's not like you're dealing with very colorful subjects. Looks pretty natural to me. I assume this is around 10 meters or so depth? Even the yellows tails of the fusiliers are pretty washed out, because the warmer wavelengths just don't really penetrate that deeply. 

One thing I did notice a bit is the barrel distortion of the WWL-1 when you're panning and don't have the 'horizon' perfectly centered in the shot. I think you'd have to zoom in a fair bit to mitigate that though. 

Some suggestions for future work that will give you more options in your edits:

1. Let the subject swim in and out of the frame while maintaining the camera position fixed rather than always panning with them;

2. Remember to shoot medium and tight shots in addition to the wide angle shots. You have a zoom lens behind the WWL-1. Use it, it's one of the biggest strengths of your particular setup :)

#10 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:45 AM

Shallow, clear water with plenty of sunshine and white sand to bounce that sunshine and fill-in the underside of your subjects is pretty much ideal conditions for ambient-light only shooting.

There's no way a pair of Keldan 8x's with blue filters (which cuts their light output by at least one stop) would be able to put out enough light to matter in such a ambient-light rich environment. You'd need the ambient light to be at least 3 stops darker before the Keldans would begin to make a difference. 

Image quality looks nice to me. Did you shoot in cine-d, or the standard profile? Not really sure that there's anything here that color-grading could add. You could increase the contrast a bit by brightening the whites perhaps, but it's not like you're dealing with very colorful subjects. Looks pretty natural to me. I assume this is around 10 meters or so depth? Even the yellows tails of the fusiliers are pretty washed out, because the warmer wavelengths just don't really penetrate that deeply. 

One thing I did notice a bit is the barrel distortion of the WWL-1 when you're panning and don't have the 'horizon' perfectly centered in the shot. I think you'd have to zoom in a fair bit to mitigate that though. 

Some suggestions for future work that will give you more options in your edits:

1. Let the subject swim in and out of the frame while maintaining the camera position fixed rather than always panning with them;

2. Remember to shoot medium and tight shots in addition to the wide angle shots. You have a zoom lens behind the WWL-1. Use it, it's one of the biggest strengths of your particular setup :)

The shots in this clips do have lights but the arms were too long so no visible effect except the first pass. Depth for the dives was around 10 meters.

I shot CineLike D the YouTube video is an unedited version the Vimeo has correction to take into account the cinelike D flat profile. None of them has any colour correction I used a filter in all dives

The conditions were ideal but the situation was awkward as you had to be glued to the sea floor so in order to produce medium shots I needed to zoom but the sharks kept moving this resulted in focus issues if I had other subjects coming into the frame so I decided to let them come through and pan which I never do underwater.

Typically I am moving towards the fish while here was the other way around. In fact I also radically changed the rig in order to pan closer to the shark and feel the effect of the lights (see tiger shark video) with the changes the lights do have an effect

I have plenty of other footage where the effect of the lights is visible that I will share once I put it together considering I only shot video 2 1/2 days it was very productive. The rest I shot stills and it was very productive too

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#11 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:10 AM

One shot I thought of taking was the head zoomed in however shooting at 24p the panning is too fast with Hammerheads so I gave up. I could do this with tigers but at that time I had changed the rig so it was impossible (will be clear when you see the image)

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#12 Laval

Laval

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:UW videography: macro and wide angle

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:55 AM

Great footage!  Thank you for sharing.

It felt like that a bit more contrast would help.

I have exactly the same video lights and ambient filters, and I do recall that they recommend to do white balance (WB) every time.  Did you do WB underwater?

Re: Alex4D Channel Mixer, I thought that it will not work with 4K.  I spent some time playing with it, but then gave up, and started to learn more fundamentals of color grading.

I agree with the above comment about shooting with natural light in at shallower depth and good light conditions.  I know one professional videographer who shoots in 8K for BBC, National Geo, etc, and he always recommends against using lights in such conditions.

#13 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:23 AM

Great footage!  Thank you for sharing.

It felt like that a bit more contrast would help.
I have exactly the same video lights and ambient filters, and I do recall that they recommend to do white balance (WB) every time.  Did you do WB underwater?
Re: Alex4D Channel Mixer, I thought that it will not work with 4K.  I spent some time playing with it, but then gave up, and started to learn more fundamentals of color grading.

I agree with the above comment about shooting with natural light in at shallower depth and good light conditions.  I know one professional videographer who shoots in 8K for BBC, National Geo, etc, and he always recommends against using lights in such conditions.

Yes white balance each dive. I can’t push the contrast more without clipping
I have used the luma video scope in final cut to keep in check. Of course you can crush the blacks but then you loose detail

For the lights if you have blue diffusers you can use them but to feel the effect you need a lot of power

The vimeo version has contrast edits the youtube is flat

Edited by Interceptor121, 17 March 2019 - 07:56 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog