Best Fisheye for Nikon D850 in Nauticam housing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

So I read a lot of the threads about D850 and e.g. Adams concern about Sigma 15 (which I loved with my former D810)......any experiences with or recommendation for Fisheyes and D850 (and with which port)?

Edited by SMY, 08 January 2018 - 08:22 AM.

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Nikon 8-15 Fisheye, Nikon 16-35mm, Nauticam 230mm port, Zen170mm  Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2224 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

The safe bet is the Nikon 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye with a 170mm port. 

I'm not sure if or what extension will be needed, but I'm sure the team at Nauticam will be able to tell you.

All the best

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

Thanks Adam!

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Nikon 8-15 Fisheye, Nikon 16-35mm, Nauticam 230mm port, Zen170mm  Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats

#4 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

Or the same with the 140mm mini dome which would be my choice.

www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#5 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:22 AM

I don't want do double a thread, but how would you rate in comparison the Ninonos Fishey solution?

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8599 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:44 AM

These are tests from Nauticam showing the image quality achieved by lens in air and behind different dome ports underwater. All ports (when in water) significantly reduce image quality towards the edges of the frame. But the bigger the port, the less this happens. As photographers we overcome this problem by closing the aperture. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 10.34.54.png

A smaller dome port is more versatile, but for the best image quality I would not go too small on dome ports. While the <180mm domes work well with the fisheye, the optimum corner sharpness comes at f/14-f/16 range. However, with a camera with the resolution of the D850, these aperture are not best for optimum center of frame resolution (because diffraction limits the maximum resolution achievable).

A big dome 230mm ( allows you to shoot a little more open f/11-f/13) and therefore get a better compromise between center frame and edge of frame max resolution underwater.

The attraction of a RS-13mm fisheye is that it does not have the port effect seen in the graph above. Giving it a wider range of useable apertures (and attractively for those with high resolution cameras) the ability to achieve more center frame resolution because the impact of diffraction can be minimised.

Alex 

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

If you loved your Sigma 15mm on the D810 then I firmly believe you'll love it just as much on the D850. I truly don't think its somehow suddenly inferior on the mighty D850. 

I don't want to repeat the same discussion on your other thread but I feel I must point out - theres a HUGE difference between figuring the best optics, squeezing every sharp pixel from a high res camera, and saying/implying an optical combination that was previously acceptably 'good' is somehow no longer due to more megapixels.  

Not that anyone's really doing so here - I just want to say don't give up on your Sigma 15mm. Sure the Nikon 8-15mm might be a bit sharper (not seen a comparison) and if you've got the spare cash, go for it. But I wouldn't, say, sacrifice a dive trip to make that upgrade if you already have a setup for the 15mm. 

Cheers,

Chris

#8 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Alex (as usual!) and Chris for the helpful Posts...and of course all the others before!!

Regards, Sascha

#9 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:25 AM

Hello everyone,  

I am seriously thinking of going all-in with the D850 for my stock business and underwater.  So I'm doing a little homework. Does the Sigma 15 require any extension ring with the 230 dome? I don't think it does but am just confirming. Also, I shoot a lot with my Nikon 14-24 and wonder if anyone has any experience with that lens underwater. And what extension ring that would take.  

Probably a bit off topic but can you talk about any challenges I will have going from a Nauticam DA 7100 cropped system to a full frame system, other than my mini-dome being unusable?  There is no pop up flash on the D850 so my optical TTL will have to be via a converter I suppose.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. Happy to start a new thread on this if needed.

Joe 

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#10 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2227 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:23 AM

Hi Joe

I use the Sigma 15mm and a 230 dome with my Subal housing and Nikon D800. I don't use an extension ring and the edges look good.

And yep, either an optical system with some form of converter - or the old fashioned hard-wired strobes. 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#11 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:40 AM

Hi Joe

I use the Sigma 15mm and a 230 dome with my Subal housing and Nikon D800. I don't use an extension ring and then edges look good.

And yep, either an optical system with some form of converter - or the old fashioned hard-wired strobes. 

Thanks, Tim.  Much appreciated.

Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com

#12 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

I'd agree with Alex as to smaller domes. I normally shoot a 170mm Zen with my D800 and now D850. The last trip I shot at f/9-f/11 or so, which is where I commonly shot my D800, and definitely wish I'd stopped down more. This can be a challenge for lighting though. So larger dome/travel size/aperture considerations are maybe a bit more of a balancing act.

The resolution of the D850 seems to challenge lens/port combos more. One point also is that the setup seems to have been having some front/back focusing issues - more than with the D800. Users are advised to fine tune the focus of their lenses - even FE's with a wide range of DOF. I think my Sigma was slightly front focusing on the body I was using, which was a rental that i received the day before I left.

As to the questions at hand - the Nauticam D850 comes with an optical sync converter. You can upgrade it to a TTL card. The Zen 230 and most domes don't use an extension with the Sigma 15mm FE.

As to challenges - Macro DOF on full-frame is probably the biggest difference I encountered, and I miss using the 60mm Macro and diopters, vs. only the 105mm. Yes, you can shoot the 60, but not really at much magnification.

Jack

Edited by JackConnick, 01 February 2018 - 09:04 AM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#13 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:49 AM

I'd agree with Alex as to smaller domes. I normally shoot a 170mm Zen with my D800 and now D850. The last trip I shot at f/9-f/11 or so, which is where I commonly shot my D800, and definitely wish I'd stopped down more. This can be a challenge for lighting though. So larger dome/travel size/aperture considerations are maybe a bit more of a balancing act.

The resolution of the D850 seems to challenge lens/port combos more. One point also is that the setup seems to have been having some front/back focusing issues - more than with the D800. Users are advised to fine tune the focus of their lenses - even FE's with a wide range of DOF. I think my Sigma was slightly front focusing on the body I was using, which was a rental that i received the day before I left.

As to the questions at hand - the Nauticam D850 comes with an optical sync converter. You can upgrade it to a TTL card. The Zen 230 and most domes don't use an extension with the Sigma 15mm FE.

As to challenges - Macro DOF on full-frame is probably the biggest difference I encountered, and I miss using the 60mm Macro and diopters, vs. only the 105mm. Yes, you can shoot the 60, but not really at much magnification.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I do love my 60. Might have to consider a wet diopter. And I'd agree that a focus tune system is essential.  I use one and it has made a huge difference is sharpness and since the camera will remember the front/back focus setting when you reattach the lens later the issue is usually permanent. I recalibrate about every year.  

Joe

Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com

#14 JamesR

JamesR

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

The D850 has a neat feature that seems to work well (at least it does on my D5) called auto af fine tune. Gone are the days of struggling with it manually :)

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)