4 replies to this topic

#1 bear35

bear35

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Hello

I am about to go on a trip to Lembeh and wanted to take a diopter with me for use with a 105mm macro setup, (d500) but I wanted to ask peoples opinions on what diopter to go for...

Looking at the options I can see at the moment it's between the Nauticam SMC, Nauticam SMC 2, Noobilab or Subsee. 

I don't see the Nauticam SMC 2 coming into the equation because of the price.

So my question is between the three remaining options, (unless someone strongly recommends the SMC 2) are there any differences in quality, ease of use etc??

#2 flavitie

flavitie

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, cooking

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:12 AM

Saga could be another option, I use the +10 , it has good quality for the price, there are also +5 , +15 and a trio compbined system.

#3 DocTock

DocTock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

For Lembeh and with a Nikon 105mm I've tried Subsee +5, +10, and Nauticam SMC. I've also used both a single lens Saga flip and the Nauticam lens flip.

I still have the Subsee +5 and the SMC and use the Nauticam flip.

The Subsee +5 is nice if you want "some" magnification beyond the 105mm.

The Subsee +10 was very nice as well, but too similar to the SMC for higher magnification.

The SMC optics are excellent.

The Saga flip was nice, worked perfectly, but the addition of the locking aspect of the Nauticam flip improves the stability of the situation.

I've thought about the multi-lens flip holders, but that would be a ton of glass to haul around at the front end of a macro set-up. I also find I'm better off photographically committing to one option on wet-lens per dive - although you could always bring the other lens and change underwater (defeating the advantage of having a flip holder).

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#4 bear35

bear35

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the reply DocTock.

Is there any difference in quality between the Subsee +10 and the SMC? There seems quite a lot of difference in price between the two.

Given the choice between one or the other what would be your choice?

#5 DocTock

DocTock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply DocTock.

Is there any difference in quality between the Subsee +10 and the SMC? There seems quite a lot of difference in price between the two.

Given the choice between one or the other what would be your choice?

The SubSee +10 is nice - optics are good.

The SMC is even better - optics are excellent.

I kept the SMC and sold the SubSee +10, but only because I felt there was too much overlap in the magnification between the 2 lenses.

If I had not been able to pick up an SMC as a pre-owned (virtually unused) piece of equipment at a great price, I might still be shooting the SubSee +10...

I think the locking Nauticam flip (or Saga flip) is invaluable. I totally respect anyone who can add/switch wet lenses underwater by just using the port/lens threaded attachment - I just find it cumbersome and a good way to drop/ loose the lens.

Don't forget, shooting with the magnification provided with either is not easy (and if there is any current  :laugh: ), and on a FF Nikon D800, the DOF is extremely small.

If you are not familiar with shooting macro with add-on wet lenses, you may wish to start with the SubSee +5 and a flip lens holder. Often in Lembeh there are other guests who have hauled their entire photography kit and may be willing to let you try their higher power wet  lenses.

Edited by DocTock, 26 January 2018 - 10:46 AM.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine