22 replies to this topic

#21 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

The Canon 60mm EFS macro will work on a Canon FF body if used with the 12mm MkII Extension tube. It will allow for focus up to about 40cm which may be a little tight for your needs. The Canon 50 macro is a good little lens too and despite its slower mechanical focus, works very well in many situations (how did we work with such lenses on film?). The 50 macro is optically good and myself and my wife have both used it successfully on subjects such as jellyfish in temperate waters which are somewhat murky. Either may work for you, and my only reservation on the 100 macro is that it can sometimes be fussy and hunt a little in my experience.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife

#22 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

The Canon 60mm EFS macro will work on a Canon FF body if used with the 12mm MkII Extension tube. It will allow for focus up to about 40cm which may be a little tight for your needs. The Canon 50 macro is a good little lens too and despite its slower mechanical focus, works very well in many situations (how did we work with such lenses on film?). The 50 macro is optically good and myself and my wife have both used it successfully on subjects such as jellyfish in temperate waters which are somewhat murky. Either may work for you, and my only reservation on the 100 macro is that it can sometimes be fussy and hunt a little in my experience.

Not enough justification for me to buy the 60 EFS lens IMHO. I have (at least it was cheap!!) and have used the Canon 50 macro under water as well but that is no justifcation for Canon not having brought this lens up to date. Meanwhile how many different Canon 300/2.8 lenses have come??

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#23 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

Not enough justification for me to buy the 60 EFS lens IMHO. I have (at least it was cheap!!) and have used the Canon 50 macro under water as well but that is no justifcation for Canon not having brought this lens up to date.

Its tricky because the design ethos of the 60EFS and the old 50 macro is quite different. The 50 macro works well on extension tubes at reasonable magnifications whilst the 60EFS is already soft on the 25mm tube. The optical design is quite different with different characteristics. So whilst the 50 certainly should be updated, the newer design of the 60 makes it easier and faster to autofocus and it does so without the lens changing length. My guess is that the 50 macro could all too easily be discontinued without a similar replacement because it represents 'old' technology. Which will be a pity because the new design of macro lenses does not lend itself to increased magnification well with extension tubes.

Perhaps I should add that there is hope. Sony's 50/2.8 FE macro recently released is of the older style design so perhaps Canon might just do something?

Edited by Paul Kay, 06 February 2018 - 12:39 PM.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife