• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

So ... I'm down in Grand Cayman getting some good instruction from Cathy Church's school.

They'll be more to tell later, but I wanted to share at least one picture while down here:

Posted Image

This was shot just off shore on Sunset Reef with my G9 and two, stacked INON UCL-165s. They took a little getting used to, and produce some significant chromatic abberation, but I think Lightroom got rid of most of the abberation and I'm getting the hang of using them. I have to say, it is pretty cool to be able to sync the strobe at 1/1000th and 1/2000th. That's one nice thing about the G9 for sure.

The instruction has been great and the diving is amazing.

More pictures later when I get back and have some real internet bandwidth! Peace for now and safe diving!
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:52 PM

Have a great time Jeremy and take good notes, I want to hear all about it. ;)

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:04 AM

i have just got myself a G9. I have a DSLR set up already but wanted a camera that i could take with me on weekends away where the DSLR would not be practicle to carry. I am also thinking that it might be an idea to get a housing for it. Last year when i was in Komodo I left my DSLR rig behind on a few dives because of the currents and was thinking that maybe a housing for the G9 just might get me a few photos on such future dives. I cant wait to see the rest of your shots and of course what you thought of the time spent with CC.
Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#4 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:59 AM

i have just got myself a G9. I have a DSLR set up already but wanted a camera that i could take with me on weekends away where the DSLR would not be practicle to carry. I am also thinking that it might be an idea to get a housing for it. Last year when i was in Komodo I left my DSLR rig behind on a few dives because of the currents and was thinking that maybe a housing for the G9 just might get me a few photos on such future dives. I cant wait to see the rest of your shots and of course what you thought of the time spent with CC.
Stew

I am with you there, Stew.
I took my Canon in its OEM casing on whitewater rafting in Alaska and about to take it on a canoe trip. Taking photo's of my 75+ yr old Mom while she was giggling like a school girl, white water rafting in Alaska was worth every penny of the OEM casing for me.
While the DSLR has many features the G9 does not, taking one hand photos in white water rafting is not one of them.
Some of my favorite Fiji photos were taken while 'blowing in the wind' of the current at the safety stop, hanging on to a rope with one hand and taking photos with the other. I would think that would tough to do with a DSLR in its housing and perhaps challenging with the Ike housing for the G9.

If I some day life near the ocean, I will likely take the DSLR housing plunge..as for now, I am in the true land of OZ (Kansas).

Jeremy, thanks for sharing the photo.
Are 2 165's considerably better than one?
I have not gotten one yet but thinking about it.

Dave

"Hated OZ,
took the shoes,
find your own way home. Toto"

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#5 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

Jeremy, thanks for sharing the photo.
Are 2 165's considerably better than one?
I have not gotten one yet but thinking about it.

Thanks, guys!

Here's my take on the UCL-165s ... when you can get REALLY close, they offer very nice magnification and detail, but reduce your working distance a lot - two more than one. Each setup - one, two & none have utility in my opinion.

I spent the afternoon today trying to understand what I could and couldn't focus on in "Macro" focus mode with 1 on 2 on and none.

With two, the subject had to be within about 2 inches of the lens or I couldn't achieve a focus lock.

With one, the subject had to be within about 4-5 inches of the lens or I couldn't achieve a focus lock.

With none, I could back off 12-18 inches and still achieve focus lock.

For tiny subjects that let you get close, they are helpful and two are nice. With two stacked, you have to zoom a couple small clicks (from 7mm to 10-11mm) to avoid vignetting.

I went on a night dive tonight with the intention of shooting macro and found them difficult to use at night ... I only brought one and stuck it in my BCD within minutes and shot macro without them. I was too busy chasing my dive buddies to get many great shots ... but I haven't even really looked at them closely yet.

Bottom line, they are very useful - especially since you can pop one or two on and off at will underwater.

Have a great time Jeremy and take good notes, I want to hear all about it. :D
Steve

Thanks for the recommendation, Steve. The instruction has been great.

Tomorrow (last day diving) should be fun ... three tank "safari" with Ocean Frontiers hitting Babylon, Stingray City and "captain's choice" on the way home.

Should be fun!
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#6 BottomTime

BottomTime

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hey Jeremy,

Nice shot.... What is that playing peekaboo with you?

Mike

Mike

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible"

#7 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hey Jeremy,
Nice shot.... What is that playing peekaboo with you?
Mike

Thanks, Mike! It is a Diamond Headed Blenny. It was cute. When inside the anemone, it clearly felt safe and didn't dart around too much, making for a pretty good subject. The shutter lag on the G9 makes capturing fast moving stuff tough sometimes, but this guy was relatively easy to photograph.

I have a picture of the whole fish that came out tack sharp too, but the internet bandwidth isn't great and I probably won't get to upload anymore shots until I get home this weekend. The "peekaboo" shot tells a much better story than the "fish ID" shot ...

... Canon in its OEM casing ...

I dove with the OEM housing and no strobes and a "magic filter" yesterday in the morning to shoot video - so much fun and so small.

I also use it snorkeling and skiing as well. If you have a G9, it is almost a no-brainer to get the OEM housing for $169.
Jeremy Payne
My Website