• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

Just thought I'd share this short video.

The plane is a Grumman Goose that belonged to Catalina Seaplanes and went down in 220 off of Catalina Island (California) in the 70's

We got pretty much perfect conditions (in the window between two storms) and had 50-60 feet of vis on the bottom with zero current or swell.

An awesome dive, and one that we will definitely go back again for ...

http://nickambrose.c...anGoose-web.mov

#2 northseaexplorers

northseaexplorers

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:43 AM

Three weeks since this was posted and no replies? I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video. Looked like a great dive and judging by the amount of stage bottles you brought along it must have been pretty deep also.

Was this all shot on one dive?

Jørgen | vimeo.com/jorgenb

#3 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Finally getting into creating underwater videos after 30 yrs of shooting stills. Now were having fun!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

Very nice video of the Goose.
I remember flying on one of those from Avalon, when I was a kid.. all I rememember how noisy it was inside.
Wish I could dive it someday, but its a little too deep for my pocketbook. :P

#4 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

Three weeks since this was posted and no replies? I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video. Looked like a great dive and judging by the amount of stage bottles you brought along it must have been pretty deep also.

Was this all shot on one dive?

Thanks for watching the vid :bye: yes, all shot on a single dive (about 18-20 mins bottom time so a little high of a "shot" to "used" ratio for the footage for my liking -- I usually like 40 mins for a 4-5 min video but the conditions were so good here!)

The wreck is in 220, which you can squeeze as a 2 deco bottle dive with big doubles, but 3 decos is pretty easy to manage and adds some decent margin to the dive!

You guys (if you are who I think you are :) are making some pretty good vids yourselves too!

i am hoping to get back on this site for some more, and may be doing a writeup for a magazine article if i can collect some usable historical stills.

Also, just got some video of a nice wreck in 120-170 in canada but due to moron-head (me) not charging the cam, I only have 12 mins of submerged footage for 60 mins of total bottom time :( (after a 12 hour drive and then a flight each way)

Should edit this up soon!

Very nice video of the Goose.
I remember flying on one of those from Avalon, when I was a kid.. all I rememember how noisy it was inside.
Wish I could dive it someday, but its a little too deep for my pocketbook. :)

Thanks for your comments :) I have never been in one, only seen them underwater!
Conditions were really nice especially given that it was raining 4 hours before and 1 hour after we splashed (we had to cancel our 2nd dive due to cruddy conditions!)

#5 northseaexplorers

northseaexplorers

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:30 AM

The wreck is in 220, which you can squeeze as a 2 deco bottle dive with big doubles, but 3 decos is pretty easy to manage and adds some decent margin to the dive!

hahaha ... Easy to manage! :) I wish deep air never went out of fashion. It would be so much easier to just bring a twin 12 or 18 and that´s it. Now I´m finding myself at 150-250 with stage upon stage, a scooter (really just an amazingly expensive camera mount) and an entire team of divers to box me in in case I screw up.

Good look on the article and keep the videos coming.

#6 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

hahaha ... Easy to manage! :) I wish deep air never went out of fashion. It would be so much easier to just bring a twin 12 or 18 and that´s it. Now I´m finding myself at 150-250 with stage upon stage, a scooter (really just an amazingly expensive camera mount) and an entire team of divers to box me in in case I screw up.

Good look on the article and keep the videos coming.

Heh, thanks ... you are the guys with all the salvo HMI's right ?

3 40s is way way easier than the 2x80 and 1x40 we had to have in canada recently. Managing all 3 of those empty + the bulky gloves and undergarments for 90+ min runtimes was a challenge.

Made even worse by an uncharged video cam battery means I only get 10 mins raw footage :)

On the positive side, the Goose video with slightly different music was recently accepted for the Los Angeles Scuba Show 2009 film festival, so it will get some airtime on the big(ger) screen !!

More to come over the next few months!

#7 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Yeah, neat shots, superb conditions.

I too flew on one of them in around 1968 from Camp Emerald Bay where I went to scout camp. He took off slamming into seas, right through a forest of masts and boats. I swore he clipped one or two. They were tough airplanes and it was cool to land in San Pedro and then just extend the wheels (which you got a good shot of) and taxi right up the boat ramp.

Thanks,
Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#8 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, neat shots, superb conditions.

I too flew on one of them in around 1968 from Camp Emerald Bay where I went to scout camp. He took off slamming into seas, right through a forest of masts and boats. I swore he clipped one or two. They were tough airplanes and it was cool to land in San Pedro and then just extend the wheels (which you got a good shot of) and taxi right up the boat ramp.

Thanks,
Jack

You are welcome :) if you have or know of any historical images of these planes (esp in catalina airlines livery) I would be hugely appreciative !!

#9 northseaexplorers

northseaexplorers

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Heh, thanks ... you are the guys with all the salvo HMI's right ?

I need to learn to subscibe to threads, sorry about the late reply.

Indeed, we are the "guys" with the HMI´s. 5 in total and they are proving to be an invaluable tool. :turtle:

#10 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

I need to learn to subscibe to threads, sorry about the late reply.

Indeed, we are the "guys" with the HMI´s. 5 in total and they are proving to be an invaluable tool. :turtle:

You make me so jealous! I am coming over there to dive with you someday!!!

Did not mean to insult any of your female members with the "guys" comment --- I use it as a generic for both!!

#11 northseaexplorers

northseaexplorers

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

You make me so jealous! I am coming over there to dive with you someday!!!

Did not mean to insult any of your female members with the "guys" comment --- I use it as a generic for both!!

Absolutely no insult taken... :-) Unfortunately, female (tech) divers are pretty rare in this part of the world and currently we have none in our team. Obviously, were you to come to Norway and bring girls we would let you play with the HMI´s. :turtle:

Edited by northseaexplorers, 01 April 2009 - 01:55 PM.

#12 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

Absolutely no insult taken... :-) Unfortunately, female (tech) divers are pretty rare in this part of the world and currently we have none in our team. Obviously, were you to come to Norway and bring girls we would let you play with the HMI´s. :turtle:

Heh heh heh, whats the ratio of "girls to HMI" that I need to bring ?

We have a few tech dive girls here but as you say, quite rare.

we were supposed to go to narvik in 2009 but this is currently on hold ...

Just looked at my video from the wreck of the Gulfstream last night ---- hopefully will post something soon as it worked out quite nice!