#221 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

Thank you all for the info...

@divemaster: unfortunately it is only for people living in U.K. - got thi smessage from them:

"Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately we are only able to provide this type of cover directly to UK residents therefore we will not be able to assist you in this instance."

@Wolfgang: I started to negotiate with this insurance (Uniqa). The fare is 11% of the equipment value, so in case the equipment is worth 15000 Euro it is an annual fee of 1650 Euro. Seems to much to me (I think that probably not the netire equipment will be stolen or flooded at once and the actual damage sum will be considerably less). I think I will bear the risk on my own then...

Interested to hear how others deal with this risk (insurance or not? what rate? how much coverage?)

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis, 08 August 2018 - 10:21 PM.

#222 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:13 AM

Interested to hear how others deal with this risk (insurance or not? what rate? how much coverage?)

Wolfgang

I just figure that if my equipment gets flooded (has happened only once so far, luckily with a cheap GoPro knockoff, so I didn't really care), it is my fault and I will cover the cost myself, ie I self-insure.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#223 DanielD

DanielD

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Rock Climbing, Cocktail Mixing

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

I just figure that if my equipment gets flooded (has happened only once so far, luckily with a cheap GoPro knockoff, so I didn't really care), it is my fault and I will cover the cost myself, ie I self-insure.

Well the main reason why I will get an insurance for my equipment is acutally not necessarily the loss of money that comes with a flooding. It is much more the plus of safety you get while diving. If you're pretty deep and your moisture warning goes off, its much easier to stay "relaxed" if you know that all your costs are going to be covered, not matter in what state your camera reaches the surface. Starting to panic because you gear is litterally flooding in front of your eyes is the first step towards a possible diving accident. So for me this is primarily a safety issue.. not for the gear, but for myself.