7 replies to this topic

#1 bversteegh

bversteegh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Diving, woodworking, computers, reading, racquetball

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi - anybody out there have a spare charger and maybe batteries for the old Fisheye HG20 halogen focusing light? I know these lights had a bad history of flooding - so maybe a charger out there without a home?

My charger is giving me fits (batteries will never start to charge) most of the time, and then occasionally works. One of my batteries is new last year; so I think it is a charger issue and not the battery.

Canon 70D in Nauticam Housing, Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, Canon 60 & 100 mm macro, 3 Inon 240's, Olympus PM-1 in Oly Housing
http://www.flickr.co...tos/bversteegh/

#2 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hi - anybody out there have a spare charger and maybe batteries for the old Fisheye HG20 halogen focusing light? I know these lights had a bad history of flooding - so maybe a charger out there without a home?

My charger is giving me fits (batteries will never start to charge) most of the time, and then occasionally works. One of my batteries is new last year; so I think it is a charger issue and not the battery.

Sorry I do not have spare charger but, I think I can share my experiance. I have old HG20 & new FIX LED1000DX and both use same type battery. the battery I use with LED1000DX is new & has same
problem you have & I thought I have problem with charger too. As I have 2 working chargers, I tested both chargers with old & new batteries & still have same problem. The story I was told is that it is
Li-Ion Battery issue. Basically, these batteries should not be used more than 50% of capacity and charge it immediately if it was used more than 50%. It will not start charging it if you use more than 50% &
forgot to charge 2-3 days. I recovered it after I try to start 10-20 times + put it on charger like 5-6 days.

I think the charger came with LED1000DX is little better(almost same) & is available at;
http://reefphoto.com...4c6597add3e654f

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#3 Paul6657

Paul6657

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

I have one here is a link to it

http://wetpixel.com/...;hl=Fisheye fix

#4 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hi Bruce, I've got a bunch (Sadly) let me know.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#5 visa

visa

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Sorry I do not have spare charger but, I think I can share my experiance. I have old HG20 & new FIX LED1000DX and both use same type battery. the battery I use with LED1000DX is new & has same
problem you have & I thought I have problem with charger too. As I have 2 working chargers, I tested both chargers with old & new batteries & still have same problem. The story I was told is that it is
Li-Ion Battery issue. Basically, these batteries should not be used more than 50% of capacity and charge it immediately if it was used more than 50%. It will not start charging it if you use more than 50% &
forgot to charge 2-3 days. I recovered it after I try to start 10-20 times + put it on charger like 5-6 days.

I think the charger came with LED1000DX is little better(almost same) & is available at;
http://reefphoto.com...4c6597add3e654f

Sam

Do You use the same battery of the 20 on the 1000? what about the burning time ?
I have a Dx20 and I would upgrade to a 1000 ... is it possible just changing the bulb ?

thanks
vito

#6 pmcdonald

pmcdonald

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hi Bruce, I've got a bunch (Sadly) let me know.

Rand

I am in need of one as well. Are these still available? Or does anybody have any for sale?

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1858 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

I've got a Fix HG20DX light with charger and battery I'd be happy to sell on if anyone if interested in having a full set. I just don't use it very often. It all works. I just don't have the red/blue filters for it but I do have a spare bulb.

If you are interested, PM me.

Tim

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#8 kingpenguin

kingpenguin

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, Photography, boats.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hi Bruce,

I have a question no one has touched upon. What color is your charging base? Black or silver?  I have had two DX20 lights purchased new for many years. I experienced the same battery problems in the past but several years ago Backscatter replaced one of my chargers under warranty, the new one has a silver base.   After that replacement I never experienced any battery problems ever again. I've had both the original Ni-cads that came with the lights new and over the years I've replaced them with new li-Ion batteries. One of the Li-Ion batteries was defective and wouldn't hold a good charge. All the Li-Ion batteries I have now will run 45-50minutes at full power.  If you do find a used charger make sure it has the silver base (battery holder). Try Backscatter as another source for a replacement.

Dan