• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rcolman

rcolman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

Does anyone know whether it is possible to trigger this strobe from an Olympus C-5060 in an Oly housing?

TNX.

Rick.

#2 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

I don't have a definitive answer but I guess it should be possible using the TTL converter from Matthias Heinrich - a most ingenious device. I'll try and find the URL.

Here you go. http://www.heinrichs...itz/strobes.htm

Apparently Matthias has also developed a doobry which allows you to connect directly to the housing connector for the 5060.

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hey Rick,

I think I just answered this over on DDNet! :D

Worth checking out Heinrich's device to see whether it will work. From memory, the SB102 is too old to be able to handle preflash cameras (like 5060) in TTL mode. It should still work in manual though.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:11 AM

Hi,

I used to own this strobe until I flooded it (just a few drops). It's not really a good option for use with your 5060, but if you already own the strobe, or someone is giving it to you, etc...

What I would recommend is taht you make sure you get the diffuser. You can cut a hole in the diffuser and use that as a mount for your fiber optic cable. Then you can buy an Inon or Sea and Sea fiber optic cable kit and use the strobe as a MANUAL slave, setting the flash on your 5060 to slave mode. You will get something like 3 power settings.

If you use a piece of "clear photo film" from Inon or a piece of developed print or negative film from the end of the roll, you can block out most of the light from the 5060's flash, but still trigger the SB102's slave sensor.

The strobe is huge and operates on 6 C cells.

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

Hi James,

do you know if the strove will work ok with the TTL converter I mentioned above?

Tim

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

No, it won't. It does not recycle fast enough to work in TTL with preflash cameras.

Sincerely,
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org