• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

Panasonic has started shipping the DMC-GH1, a 12.1mp ViDSLR which can shoot 1080/24p and 720/50/60p, all in AVCHD PsF 60i. Unlike the previous ViDSLR from Canon (5D2,T1i/500D) and Nikon (D90,D5000), the Panasonic GH1 has manual modes in HD shooting for more image control. With Creative Mode and using the G lenses, you can now change shutter speed and aperture and also set ISO. Finally a real Video camera control in a DSLR. Even better, it has continuous AF mode to track subjects in video mode, the only ViDSLR to do so.
The codec is the AVCHD at 17mpbs, which is significantly less than the H.264 Canon codec, which is 35-40mbps. Still with 720 at 50/60p, you can get up to 1/2.4 slow motion at 25fps. Best of all there's no limit to recording time unlike Canon's 12 minute and Nikon's 4 minute clip limits.
Being a 4/3 mount, the sensor is smaller than the sensors of Canon and Nikon. However, the sensor is still bigger than many video cameras, especially the consumer camcorders. With a bigger sensor than all consumer camcorders and many professional HD cameras, real manual controls and slow motion ability, the Panasonic GH1 promises to be a serious performer as a ViDSLR for underwater use.
If more lenses supports the HD function (presently only the 14-140 f4-5.8 does), this platform will force Canon and Nikon to take the video market seriously. Personally I think the 720p is the key feature on this camera.
Now housing manufacturers have yet another camera to think about. Best of all, the Gh1 comes in flashy red and bling gold as well! :)
http://panasonic.net.../gh1/index.html

Here is Phil Bloom's quick and dirty first shots with the GH1:

Bloom Test

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

Btw you can download the bigger Bloom file once you sign up.:
HD 1080 Bloom GH1 file at 280MB!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 TMan2

TMan2

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Very interesting and exciting, thank you for the info. I would be curious of the boards thoughts on whether this is the future of underwater photography/ video for high end results. hmmm
TJ Mansfield
Submerge Camera
Where only the Best Gear is Sold!
www.submergecamera.com
1-877-5-SUBMERGE
+1.269.324.9999
submerge@submergecamera.com

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

17 mbs sounds a bit low for shooting at 1080p...? It is an awesome time at the moment for video, it seams every week there is a new cutting edge product.

Edited by jonny shaw, 21 May 2009 - 10:38 PM.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Btw you can download the bigger Bloom file here:
HD 1080 Bloom GH1 file at 280MB!

Drew, is there a 280mb file we can download, did not seem to see it there.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:50 AM

I forgot to add you need to sign up on xposure room to download. Opps :)

Drew

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

17 mbs sounds a bit low for shooting at 1080p...? It is an awesome time at the moment for video, it seams every week there is a new cutting edge product.

No more than any other camcorder shooting at 17mbps AVCHD at 1080p. The better side is the 720p at 60... which means 2.5x slow motion at 24fps. That is very compelling especially for a camera which doubles as a DSLR. Many documentaries shoot at 75fps for dolphins etc to get the slo mo. As Phil Bloom shows, it works pretty well via FC Compressor.

Here is a cross announcement on Panasonic adapters for leica lenses:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=30525

Drew

#8 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

One of the attractions of video DSLR's that the video folks cite is the different perspective one can achieve with a full frame sensor and the respective lens options. Is this likely to be less evident with a 4/3 sensor? Any advantages of 4/3 vs FF?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

Topside that is a plus for shallow DOF. Underwater, it can be a liability as you'd have to focus with the LCD in liveview, which can be a PITA. With 4/3, you get back up to 1.5 stops of DoF which is desirable for video.
The ONLY lens that supports manual video mode is the 14-140. Otherwise it's like the Canon/Nikon cameras.
However, there are adapters which allow it to use Olympus Zuikos, Leica D, M & R series and Sigma as well.

http://panasonic.jp/...connect/g1.html

Drew

#10 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:12 AM

Fisheye Japan

Fisheye/Seatool started making the housing

#11 Ladygodiver

Ladygodiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

Panasonic press release:

"...there’s also the Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4.0 ASPH which brings wide angle to the G series of cameras."

Apparently same video mode functions as the 14-140mm on the DMC-GH1...but I'm not sure about this.

Can anyone confirm that AF does indeed work in video mode...

Edited by Ladygodiver, 04 June 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#12 smartidiot

smartidiot

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:20 AM

Fisheye Japan

Fisheye/Seatool started making the housing

To be more accurate, they started development on the housing... It's a tempting camera to upgrade to, but the price is putting me off... sigh...

#13 northseaexplorers

northseaexplorers

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

Panasonic has started shipping the DMC-GH1 [...]

Does anyone know more on the status on housing for this camera?

It seems to be a more than affordable way to get 720p underwater, and judging by the footage I have seen shot above the surface the quality looks amazing.

Jørgen | vimeo.com/jorgenb

#14 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:08 AM

Does anyone know more on the status on housing for this camera?

It seems to be a more than affordable way to get 720p underwater, and judging by the footage I have seen shot above the surface the quality looks amazing.

Any news on housings for this camera?

Bye

#15 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

Any news on housings for this camera?

Bye

The housing by Seatool is on production already though a bit expensive.
http://www.seatool.net/list/GH1.html

#16 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

Works with my Olympus lenses and even in AF mode with the 14-42 and 9-18mm. Hmmm this thread might cost me some money.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#17 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Works with my Olympus lenses and even in AF mode with the 14-42 and 9-18mm. Hmmm this thread might cost me some money.

How is depth rated the housing?

Hummm... the japanes site it's impossible to decode :)
The USA site does not list this housing.
Browsing their site I noticed they never declare hteir housing depth rating. Very strange :P
I made a quick search and it seems that in Italy it's hard to find it.
I hoped on a more common brand

Bye

Edited by Long John Silver, 19 March 2010 - 02:55 PM.

#18 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

How is depth rated the housing?

Hummm... the japanes site it's impossible to decode :)
The USA site does not list this housing.
Browsing their site I noticed they never declare hteir housing depth rating. Very strange :P
I made a quick search and it seems that in Italy it's hard to find it.
I hoped on a more common brand

Bye

Which housing? Do you mean GH1 housing by Seatool? The depth rating is 60m.