Photo
- - - - -

Sea & Sea MDX-D500 TTL Converter with Inon Z240s?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Photo Lama

Photo Lama

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

Folks, I've just gotten word from my Sea & Sea dealer in the UK that the Optical YS Converter/N1 is now shipping with updated firmware compatible for the D500. I've asked whether this converter works with Inon Z240 / S2000 strobes, and the answer I got back was no they're not supported. and haven't been tested. Still working with wired cables at the moment, which is fine. But I'd like the chance to move into the 21st century, and I'm not willing to part with my Inons.  This is my 4th Sea & Sea housing, overall very satisfied. I'm finding these products are not well supported in the UK, and I'm wishing I'd gone with Nauticam as the support over here is very good indeed. I was hoping to keep my housing stock and be able to use a the Sea & Sea converter. Would very much appreciate any background / experience people have, or recommendations for a decent 3rd party product. RB 

Robert Bailey -- www.robertbaileyphotography.com

#2 giffenk

giffenk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

Background info: Optical converters contain a computer that digitally talks to your camera and pretends to be a standard Nikon (or Canon) flash. But your strobes have a different light output curve. So the converter must be able to adjust timing to mimic the standard factory curve.

Sea and Sea converters have switches to allow you to tell the converter which S&S strobe is connected. S&S knows how to map S&S strobes to standard factory flashes. They ignore other strobes.

If you want a converter that handles different brands of strobes then you will need to look at third party converters.