• Interests:SDI Instructor

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hi guys, 

Just got into wide angle photography and my setup is as follow

D750

Nauticam Housing

8 inch dome

10-17 Tokina Lens

Did a few test shot at my Condo's pool and found out that when i zoom to fish eye, i get this squarish effect from the lens hood. instead of this circular photo i took from my fren's fb Jerome Kim. Any experts here have any advice or solution to this?

Appreciate any suggestions at all  :notworthy:

Attached Images

• _JSL6969.jpg
  • 15626244_1514472385248082_4480176291186593709_o.jpg

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2176 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hi Terence

I'd suggest the main problem is that your Nikon D750 is a full-frame camera (an FX) whilst the Tokina 10-17 is a DX lens.

This means that as you zoom out to the lens' wider zoom settings - so towards the 10mm range - the area the lens can see isn't large enough to fill what the sensor registers. So what you are now seeing is the frame of the lens: effectively the petal shaped lens protection around the end of the lens.

Folks usually don't want the framing effect and so switch to an FX lens - say the Nikkor 16-35mm or the Sigma 15mm or Nikkor 16mm.  But I believe you can also "remove" the framing petals, i.e. machine them off (pretty drastic!). I will let others comment on how you can do this. I've also seen somewhere that Tokina have a petalless version - but, again, I'll defer to others. Perhaps this is how the Jerome version was achieved? Does the Jerome lens look different to your Tokina at the business end? Have the lens petals been removed?

The Tokina 10-17 is terrific on a DX sensor camera - such as say the D700x series - but not so much on the FX cameras.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 Roger-Botting

Roger-Botting

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

Tim has the correct answer.

To convert my 10.5 Nikon fish eye lens to give a full circle image on my D750, I used a Dremel tool to remove the lens hood. 

It makes the lens almost unsellable but it does give me a full circle image.

If you do decide to modify the lens think about it for a day or two and proceed carefully. You can easily convert your precious lens into someone else's collection of spare parts.

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2176 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Tim has the correct answer.

To convert my 10.5 Nikon fish eye lens to give a full circle image on my D750, I used a Dremel tool to remove the lens hood. 

It makes the lens almost unsellable but it does give me a full circle image.

If you do decide to modify the lens think about it for a day or two and proceed carefully. You can easily convert your precious lens into someone else's collection of spare parts.

You're a brave man, Mr R-B. I can imagine there must have been one or two heart-stopping moments. Or you have an incredibly steady hand!

Tim

#5 terenceg

terenceg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

Thanks Tim, after much consideration and advices frm fellow peers, is safer and cheaper to get a fix lens as those you suggested than completely destroying my tokina. Hahah cheers guys and happy new year

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2176 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:08 AM

Thanks Tim, after much consideration and advices frm fellow peers, is safer and cheaper to get a fix lens as those you suggested than completely destroying my tokina. Hahah cheers guys and happy new year

My pleasure, Terence. A wise call, I'd say! 

I've found the Sigma 15mm terrific and it's much easier to house than the Nikkor 16-35 which, for me, definitely needs a 230 domeport. The only drawback with the Sigma is if you want to shoot bigger fish that won't let you get close - or you don't want to get close! For them the Nikkor is much better.

Tim

#7 terenceg

terenceg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:16 PM

Just an update !!! i found this 

Tokina 10-17mm f3.5/4.5 DX Type II Nikon Fisheye Zoom Lens

Attached Images

• tk-1017n-ii.jpg

#8 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2176 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

Ah ha! The fabled petalless Tokina 10-17!?

Unicorn, anyone?  :crazy:

Tim

#9 DiveMasterDewey

DiveMasterDewey

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, photo-acoustics, RFID, Electronic Article Surveillance

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

Tokina 10-17mm with no hood is available for Canon and Nikons.  Keep in mind that depending on your artistic intent, you may need to also remove the hood/shade from your dome port.

http://reefphoto.com...okina "no hood"

Alan Dewey
Reef Photo & Video
n2theblue at
reefphoto.com

S.D.I. Scuba Instructor

S.D.I. Underwater Photographer Instructor

www.AlanDewey.com

www.AlanDewey.Photography

#10 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

And keep in mind that he lens is still not a ff lens.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#11 flamebouyant

flamebouyant

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Location:Pau France at the moment. Normally residing in Cairns Australia
  • Interests:Diving, Photography.

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:51 AM

I have been wondering how people make these perfect circular images. If i understand this post correctly, you just need lens like the tokina 10-17 without the petals, and then use it at its widest angle on a FF camera?
I have the same tokina without the petals, and i have considered changing up to a FF camera......

#12 CaptChad

CaptChad

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

So if I am using a D7000 with this exact lens that has the hood attached, will I experience the same issue with the OPs original pic above?  Should I be using a hoodless Tokina 10-17 lens instead?

#13 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:43 AM

Capt Chad, you will have no trouble with a standard tokina 10-17 lens with the D7000, which  I use as well.  The D7000 is a DX camera and the lens is designed for such a camera.  You can also use domes in the 4 inch sizing with that setup.  There are several mfg companies with small domes for that lens and camera setup.  Its quite compact for travel and very nice for close focus wide angle.  The lens will focus all the way down to the dome.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tokina 10-17, fisheyes, tokina, nauticam, d750, nikon, lens hood