• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JimmyC

JimmyC

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hey everyone Im planning a trip to the Bahamas (Looking at going to Bimini but not booked in yet). I am going in the first week of December. I have done lots of research and found lots of different places to dive with sharks. But I am looking for some advice. I would like to do the hammerhead dive in Bimini but after speaking with Neil Watson I see that they only do Scuba and not free dives with the Hammerheads. I would love to free dive with the hammerheads mainly because I like using natural light for my Underwater photography. Anyone no a place that lets you free dive with sharks there?

I have also seen lots of cool Shark photos with Lemon and reef sharks feeding around sunset. Are these photos of just normal recreational divers going out or are there charters that do Sunset free dives with the sharks?

Also are there other places on Bimini to see the baby lemon sharks beside paying to see them through Shark Lab? Is it possible to just swim through the Mangroves there and find them, Thanks for the help, Jim.

#2 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Why would you want to freedive for the hammerheads?  No bottom time, limited ability to get good angles, just no advantage to it.  The dives are feeding dives in very shallow water with a white sand bottom so lots of natural light and no flash is needed if you do not want it.  Lots of bottom time due to the shallow depth.  This is  one place where freediving just does not make sense, photographically speaking.  There is also a safety factor to consider when sharks are being fed in shallow water and you are splashing at the surface.

As for the mangroves, no reason not to go it alone and snorkel.  But, I don't know if rental boats are available and you might have to charter a boat at some expense, maybe more than a dive-specific trip would cost.  Also, the dive guides might be more aware of where good subjects are and can get you on a good shoot without a lot of unproductive exploring.  Sometimes, it is better to pay a little more.  Bimini is not cheap to get to, so why spend the money getting there and then be cheap about dive guides?

The sunset shark photos are most often at trips to tiger beach, not Bimini.  They are chumming/feeding the sharks, but with the photographers taking turns laying on a dive platform with big domes doing over/under shots.  Maybe you can get an op at Bimini to do this type of trip but I would ask before you go.

Bimini is a great spot with great diving, but you really cannot do it "on the cheap" very well because it is very remote and costly to get to.