• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

After numerous convos with Reef Photo, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the WWL-1 to shoot in front of the 12-50mm and macro port I already have.

Yes, I know I will have to zoom in to 14-16mm to avoid vignetting but I am just wondering what the thoughts are on the WWL.

Trying to fit a great wide angle solution in without getting the boss upset.  With the dome port I am returning (stupidly ordered the wrong one) I can get the WWL without any more $ outlay.  Moving to the 7-14 with the dome, extensions, etc.  would be quite a bit more and from what I have been led to believe, the WWL is wider and sharper at the corners anyway.

Lay it on me.  If anyone has pics of taken with the WWL, ESPECIALLY with the 12-50, I'd love to see them.

#2 AForns

AForns

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:08 AM

What camera would you be using?

Got mine from Reef also and can't be happier.  On my trip last month to Little Cayman, did not even bother to take the dome with fish-eye.   Like the results I'm getting and versatility.

You will find advice given by Reef is from user experience and more often than not right on the money.   Do get the flotation collar since the lens is heavy, just adding flotation to the arms will make it tiring tilting the unit up and down.

btw I'm using an Olympus and 14-42.  If you are using an Olympus, does the lens zoomed out fit the port?  Also to me it would be inconvenient needing to check for vignetting when zooming more that wider than 14.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing !!   Won't regret getting the WWL-1

al 

#3 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:24 AM

Anybody know if I need to change the focal length for the ibis when I have the wwl attached?

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2363 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:05 PM

I like mine a lot. Prefer it over using a large dome.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#5 DanInSoCal

DanInSoCal

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography (duh!), in addition to scenic, nature, portrait, and landscape photography. I am also a karate instructor, professional scientific software developer, and father.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

I just got one to use with a Sony RX100-V (Nauticam housing obviously). It's a beast. It's like four pounds of glass. For a trip to Cozumel, for the types of things that like to shoot, it was just TOO wide angle; I kept finding myself trying to zoom more. Optically it performs magnificently. I am sure that there will be situations where it will be amazing. I look forward to exploring its uses when I can slow down and compose wide angle shots and video better.

#6 hyptest

hyptest

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:21 AM

I just got a wwl-1 for my oly 12-50, em1-ii.  Using it with nauticam's 12-50 port with their funky gear.  Only had one dive on it so far, but liked it a lot.  I have to train myself not to go too wide on the lens.  Had a few shots at 15mm that definitely cut off the corners.

I have a few photos (nothing great, just a testing dive), here:

https://photos.app.g...dX4V4Wznzxk6EW9

Some of these are cropped a little because of the 15mm issue.  If you want raws of anything let me know.  I'd be happy to send you files.

Eric

Edited by hyptest, 10 August 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#7 Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the info