2 replies to this topic

#1 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

Thinking of taking a family trip (as young as 5 to as old as 80) in summer 2019 to the Azores. About half of us would be interested in doing some diving and/or whale watching and possibly whale swimming if the permits aren't too expensive. (We did the whale swim experience in Tonga last summer and loved int.) If the prospects are good I will bring my u/w photography setup.

Happy to take advice on where to stay, what to do, how to get around, too. We'd be flying there from Boston, most likely. Mostly looking to just chill out, drink some wine, eat some seafood, and enjoy the views. 

Thanks.

Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#2 alibullock

alibullock

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

Hi Daniel.

Happy to offer some suggestions for you about the Azores. It is a beautiful place and has some amazing countryside and wildlife. The diving is world class and there are plenty of opportunities to dive with Dolphins and Whales in a responsible way. I would definitely bring your photography equipment!

As for staying here, your main island is Sao Miguel - I would start here (especially if you have a family.) We have a family house up for rent that has 4 bedrooms that might work for you, it is being worked on at the moment (ready for a Jan '19 soft launch) so it might be perfect! Check out www.solarbranco.com or email me at solarbranco@gmail.com for more details on that.

On the island there are a number of restaurants to eat in, all are very reasonably priced and family friendly. The island is well set up for tours around and there is plenty for your family to see and do. Flights from Boston are quite frequent and we have met a number of people from the US at the places we have stayed.

Seafood is amazing and fresh, Cais 21 is a great restaurant to eat in, check out this link for more info, http://www.solar-branco.com/guides/

A hire car is a good idea though not essential. The island is easy to drive around and very safe. Hope all that helps and do drop me an email if I can help further.

Ali

#3 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:48 PM

Thanks, Ali. We will definitely check out your place and get back to you if we commit to visiting the Azores. 

Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite