5 replies to this topic

#1 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:25 PM

Hi gurus, 

I use a sony a6000 with 16-50mm stock lens with Meikon dome for my underwater pictures. I am planning to go Bahamas to take picture of the hammerheads and wondering if I should invest on wide-angle to get those close up shots.

As I was researching, I found the inon UWL-100 and UWL-H100 are the two wet lenses but I am not sure which one is compatible with Sony a6000.

Can someone please help? Also how much wider is the result if I use UWL lense vs my 16mm with dome?

Thanks again!

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

Wet lenses need a flat port and I would not be too sure this is compatible with your lens housing you should check that first

Then of the two the UWL-H100 will vignette less

In terms of field of view should the lens work you will have 100+ degrees diagonal instead of 84 of your dome. It does not seem much but it is a lot more

16mm lens at 1 meter 1.8 diagonal UWL-H100 at least 2.4 meters

I would think for sharks of that size at that distance you may want something wider

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 Abhi

Abhi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

Wet lenses need a flat port and I would not be too sure this is compatible with your lens housing you should check that first

Then of the two the UWL-H100 will vignette less

In terms of field of view should the lens work you will have 100+ degrees diagonal instead of 84 of your dome. It does not seem much but it is a lot more

16mm lens at 1 meter 1.8 diagonal UWL-H100 at least 2.4 meters

I would think for sharks of that size at that distance you may want something wider

Thanks! Meikon has 67mm port. So, I think the lens would fit but I dont know, with sony a6000 APS-c sensor & 16-mm kit, which one of the UWL will give me lesser vignetting.

Also, with dome, it seems to provide 130 degrees wide shot.  Do you mean I need wider angle for the hammers? :-)

#4 tankie

tankie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:58 AM

I have a meikon for my rx100 iv. I also have a UWL-H100 type 2 + dome and it has very very minimal/negligible vignette zoomed in to 28mm. If the port is similar to the a6000, you should get the same results with it.

#5 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Thanks! Meikon has 67mm port. So, I think the lens would fit but I dont know, with sony a6000 APS-c sensor & 16-mm kit, which one of the UWL will give me lesser vignetting.

Also, with dome, it seems to provide 130 degrees wide shot.  Do you mean I need wider angle for the hammers? :-)

The dome doesn't actually influence angle of view apart from allowing you to get the same angle of view underwater as you do on land.  So in other words you get the angle of view of a 16mm lens on land which on an APS-C camera is a 84° diagonal.   Why do you think you have a 130° field of view with the dome, that is the field of view from a very wide lens

On the issue of the the flat port a lot will depend on how close the lens is to the inside of the port.  If it is a universal port and the distance is large then you may have more issues with vignetting than you would in a properly optimised port.

An alternative to the wet lens might be the Sony 10-18mm which gives 110° on the diagonal and you could use that in your dome.

#6 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

The UWL-100 is designed for 35mm equivalent focal length. It is not supported with 24mm equivalent lenses until you zoom in.
You should look at the newer UWL-H100 with dome or other lenses supporting at least 28mm
In terms of what chrisross says this is not a classic dome as it is applied on a wet lens and generally doesnt fully restore the air field of view
130 degrees is a measurement taken with a very old set up and there is no guarantee you will obtain that exact value

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog