On some french dealer we can pre-order the new strobe Inon Z330 

z330_2.jpg

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:18 AM

Nice specs look good if accurate:  Guide No 33 , 110°coverage  without diffuser,  price unknown??  Looks pretty much the same control layout, but possibly a bayonet mount for diffuser?

http://www.photo-den...non-flash-z330/

nothing on INON's site as yet

#3 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:45 AM

Looks nice!  New diffuser, good changes in front part design.

Comparing with Z240, the change in electric specs is GN=33. It would be interesting to look closer Z330 xenon tubes, which discharge twice more energy.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 25 November 2017 - 05:06 AM.

#4 tursiops

tursiops

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Those specs also say it uses AAA batteries! Seems unlikely.....

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2134 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:43 AM

We have posted the details that are so far available on the Wetpixel front page:

http://wetpixel.com/...non-z330-strobe

On paper at least, they have more power than any similar 4 x AA powered strobe. 110 degree beam angle with no loss of power....those are amazing specifications. The unknowns are recycle times, light quality, colour temperature and battery life. Assuming these are good, this will prove to be a very good strobe....

We will keep posting information about the strobes on the front page and on this thread. There are plans under way to review them as soon as units are available.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#6 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

Scubapix, Australian Nauticam distributor now has a price posted $A1169.94 (10% GST included) which is only a little more than the price of the the Z-240 before it was discontinued (believe the asking price was $1090).

http://scubapix.com/...ra-wide-strobe/

#7 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2134 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

Here is a video introducing the new strobe by Tim Ho (of Anilao Photo Academy) and Takuya Torii (of Inon.)

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#8 Barry Field

Barry Field

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the video Adam, only question now is Z330 or RETRA

Using Tapatalk

#9 echo2600

echo2600

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Yeah... that is the question, isnt it?

#10 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

It is difficult to recognize from the picture .... do the Z330 lamps look bigger than Z240 lamps?

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 30 November 2017 - 02:04 AM.

#11 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2134 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:35 AM

Pavel-do you mean the tubes? I assume so.

For what it is worth, the focus/aiming light is more powerful.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#12 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

Pavel-do you mean the tubes? I assume so.

For what it is worth, the focus/aiming light is more powerful.

Adam

Adam, thank you.

I mean xenon tubes of course. They must be bigger size, because strobe power is doubled comparing with Z240.

#13 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

This is exciting! I'm digging the larger control knobs, too. Controlling the knobs on my Z240s with thick neoprene dry suit gloves recently proved impossible... had to find a stick on the river bottom to change settings.

Will be interested to see what Inon sets the price at.

Edited by ComeFromAway, 30 November 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#14 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

Too late, I already bought a pair of retras!

The thing that drove me away from another pair of Z240s was the overheating protection. I was sick of burning out tubes and capacitors, especially when Inon's only solution is to replace the whole internals and this service is very hard to obtain in Australia. Hopefully the Z330s have solved the heat problem. The duckbill shade cap also looks like a useful bit of kit. I wonder if it could be retrofitted onto a Z240?

#15 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

Too late, I already bought a pair of retras!

The thing that drove me away from another pair of Z240s was the overheating protection. I was sick of burning out tubes and capacitors, especially when Inon's only solution is to replace the whole internals and this service is very hard to obtain in Australia. Hopefully the Z330s have solved the heat problem. The duckbill shade cap also looks like a useful bit of kit. I wonder if it could be retrofitted onto a Z240?

I am curious as to why you've burned so many Z240s, cave diving isn't much of an action-loaded photography type i'd imagine?
I've been using the same pair of Z240s over last 6 years without any issue (2500-3000 shots per year i'd say), maybe i've just been lucky?

#16 DDT uk

DDT uk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:24 AM

I have never had issues with overheating on any of my Z240s but I have problems with the silly push lock on the 1 or 2 preflash button. On a couple of my Inons this just doesn't hold and there is nothing more annoying than shooting away and discovering the button has popped and is out of sync and not firing when you want it to. That and the modelling light button just seem like bad design (I am always accidentally putting the modelling light on temporarily when I don't want to).

It is a real shame that they haven't taken this chance, as it will stop me buying the new version.

#17 rollin

rollin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Aquatic ecology, wildlife photography

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:29 AM

This is exciting! I'm digging the larger control knobs, too. Controlling the knobs on my Z240s with thick neoprene dry suit gloves recently proved impossible... had to find a stick on the river bottom to change settings.

There is a cheap solution for that

Extra large glow in the dark buttons

#18 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2134 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

Some more thoughts and updates on the strobe's specifications from Jovic Santos of Splash Underwater Imaging about the Z330. He was able to handle the new strobes during the recent Anilao Underwater Shootout.

Here is an Inon update for the well awaited INON global Z-330 strobe.  Apart from the common knowledge that this is a guide number 33 in meters.  Here are some thoughts on the new strobes advantage for the underwater photographer.

- Stronger guide number from 24 for Z240 to now 33.  In actual use, it’s a +/- a meter gain in distance capability depending of course on camera settings.

- Color temp is the same as the Z240, so your settings will not change.

- Dome acrylic front - wider coverage of light vs that of Z240

- Power control knob - less confusing to use as now the knob stops at lowest power or maximum power.  Z240 control continuously rotates and needs to be visually verified on where it is set.  The new control allows you to feel the clicks and set accordingly.  Plus it has a bigger control knob especially when your fingers are soft from too much diving. Is there such a thing as too much diving? 

- Although not a major issue if you know how to use your light when edge lighting, the rotating flanges helps to minimize back scatter if you are pointing your strobe directly to subject.

- Previous Fiber optic cables and mount s are still compatible, but at this point the inon snoot and diffusers are not compatible as the mount ring is different.  Probably they will release an adapter for it in the future.  Kelvin diffusers are still not available at this point but maybe available when strobes are released.

- External auto feature has been removed and only STTL, Low and Manual have been retained.

Prices have not yet been finalized but will probably be in the 700 USD price range.  Actual availabilty will be announced soon.

Editor-wetpixel

#19 echo2600

echo2600

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

This certainly puts the Z330 in strong competition with the Retra... especially, if it comes in close to $700 USD. Is there any scuttlebutt ona release date?

#20 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2134 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:21 AM

I know that Inon have stated that they want to start shipping them in 2017...so soon.

Of course, production schedules are hard to predict accurately. 

Wetpixel will be using a pair for testing soon...

Adam

Editor-wetpixel