#1 wus

wus

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, wildlife, culture

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hi all UW photographers out there,

I want to buy a good compact, suitable housing and strobe/LED. To give you an idea about my UW photography experience: In the analog era I used to dive with a Minolta Alpha 8000i with (usually) a 100mm Macro lens in a Hugyfot housing, Subtronic 250Ws strobe w/built-in pilot lamp, plus a Nikonos V with 28 or 15mm lens mounted on top of the Hugyfot housing.

With this setup I could shoot macro and wideangle on the same dive, which was really nice. Disadvantage of this setup was its bulk and weight. Particularly the huge and heavy Subtronic strobe was really difficult to handle when I had to fight currents, as I encountered them near Alor or some spots in the Andaman islands.

So for the future I am looking for something much smaller and lighter, but with a similar level of versatility. Instead of one big and heavy strobes, I want to use 2 really small and lightweight ones.

I have pretty much narrowed down my search to a Sony RX100 II*, but I am not sure what housing I should buy as there are so many.

It should be

- compact and lightweight

- good for a diving depth of at least 60 meters, which I guess rules out the cheaper plastic housings

- give me good control over the camera's settings

- allow fiber optic connection of 2 UW strobes with TTL control

- allow mounting of 2 strobe arms

- allow mounting of wet lenses.

I remember on a trip to Ambon I saw a guy with a housing who had 2 wet lenses mounted to the left and right of his port, one wide angle converter and one close-up lens. He could flip them in and out very quickly. This looked very useful to me.

Do any of you out there know if any of the housings for the RX100 II offers such a mount option?

* Or would you recommend another good compact? I chose the RX 100 II over the newer RX100 models because of its longer lens, 100 instead of the 70mm max offered by the newer versions.

leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories

#2 hellhole

hellhole

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

That housing set up u saw.. mostly likely is an nauticam

#3 trimix125

trimix125

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

Hi,
my girl friend is using a MkI in a Recsea housing.
Very happy with it.
You have the same lens, and she is using a Inon macro lens, a Inon fisheye and a wide angle lens.
Depending the two last ones where we go...
I upgraded the mount to an AD mount, make the changing easier...

Regards,
Wolfgang

#4 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:31 AM

SeaFrogs (Meikon) housing for RX100 series (compatible with all five models) ticks all your boxes - small, light, rated to 60m, all controls accessible, has fiber optic connectors, 67mm threading for wet lenses.

#5 wus

wus

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, wildlife, culture

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for all your answers...

@Wolfgang: I'm not quite sure if I understand the concept of the AD mount - on the Recsea website it looks rather different from Nauticam's flip mount. Do you have a picture for me, showing the mount with 2 lenses?

leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories

#6 trimix125

trimix125

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Hi Wus,
i simply added / screwed in an Inon M67 to Inon AD bayonet adapter.
And now she uses Inon AD mount lenses ;-)))

Not a great deal.

Regards,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125, 10 October 2017 - 11:22 PM.