• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:16 AM

The official Wetpixel Ocean Safari boat will start next week. I'll be jumping on another crew's boat for a bit before and after the WP boat comes and goes.
Stay tuned for 'almost' daily reports IF I can get Eric or Matt to update regularly.
The sardines are stretching from East London to Hole in the wall! This is going to be a good one I hope.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Stay tuned for 'almost' daily reports IF I can get Eric or Matt to update regularly.

Sounds like it is going to be a good one. Just take the computer rights away from Eric and Matt if they move too slow and post. :D

#3 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

The official Wetpixel Ocean Safari boat will start next week. I'll be jumping on another crew's boat for a bit before and after the WP boat comes and goes.
The sardines are stretching from East London to Hole in the wall! This is going to be a good one I hope.

Looking forward to reading these postings! ;) The adventure in just getting there may as challenging as the diving with all the new airline hassles. :D

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

Good luck, Drew. Are you dressed as spiderman this time? :D
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#5 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

I am looking forward to these posts, as I plan to be doing the sardine run next year this time.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Unofficial reports of big baitballs are overexaggerated:
As usual, more disinformation for the tourists and suckers like us. Activity is picking up but still no huge activity. Just couple hundred dolphins and birds mulling around. Main show hasn't started yet.
Humpbacks are starting to show in good numbers and as usual, the jumping sharks that I can't ever get a clear shot of and doing their thing. Viz looks a dreamy 40ft but I'm sure that'll change. Eric ,water is a not so dreamy 18°C/64°F so spidey may yet show up if I get into the water too many times a day. Even with my mighty RAADIATORRR, it's DARN cold!
On news that doesn't have NDAs, the BBC with Hugh Person and Didier Noirot are also mulling around. I am still waiting for my superpod of thousands of dolphins to show in 100ft viz. :D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

No matter what happens; the worst day on the water is still better than my best day in the office. Looking forward to some pics and video.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

Let's see, Jeff... we pay $XXX a day for crap and you get paid $XXXXX a day for crap... I'm torn :D

Drew

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:29 AM

Good news for the sardine netters today... they started netting sardines near Margate. Looks like pilot shoals (schools for the americanos) have shown up.
Lots of activity up and down the coast but too fast moving to get anything. I'm moving north to catch this activity today... here we go again!

Drew

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

Sardine netters are having a great day in Aberdeen KZN.
The people on the dive boats are reporting great activity and I'm stuck travelling to arrange for the WP party. Sorry guys I may just abandon you all!
Auntie Beebs crew is very happy now.
We've been discussing which shots are most desirable this year. Bryde's Whale through baitball is cool but so 2003 but Doug's shot was slightly behind.
So shot list for this year:
1. So a more frontal head shot of Bryde's Whale in baitball.
2. 8 fps gannet sequence from above water to snatching sardine in front of the camera.
3. Sharks are so pass so to make it interesting... breaching C. Limbatus or Brachyrus.
4. Triple breaching humpbacks.
5. Ok sharks in baitballs are still ok... DP had 3 sharks...let's do 10 coming through a baitball.

Drew

#11 Falsa-Orca

Falsa-Orca

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Whales, Dolphins and Sharks

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:30 AM

Sardine netters are having a great day in Aberdeen KZN.
The people on the dive boats are reporting great activity and I'm stuck travelling to arrange for the WP party. Sorry guys I may just abandon you all!
Auntie Beebs crew is very happy now.
We've been discussing which shots are most desirable this year. Bryde's Whale through baitball is cool but so 2003 but Doug's shot was slightly behind.
So shot list for this year:
1. So a more frontal head shot of Bryde's Whale in baitball.
2. 8 fps gannet sequence from above water to snatching sardine in front of the camera.
3. Sharks are so pass頳o to make it interesting... breaching C. Limbatus or Brachyrus.
4. Triple breaching humpbacks.
5. Ok sharks in baitballs are still ok... DP had 3 sharks...let's do 10 coming through a baitball.

6. Blue whale with open mouth - at least
Jens Kuhfs

#12 Falsa-Orca

Falsa-Orca

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Whales, Dolphins and Sharks

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

6. Blue whale with open mouth - at least

7. Humpback whale jumps over the boat - 3 times
8. hundreds of Orcas - spy spyhopping and jumps - at least
:D
Jens Kuhfs

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

Sigh Jens... now I know you've found a gf.

Anyhow, the BBC crew has wrapped because the last few days were so good.

Drew

#14 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:33 AM

Sigh Jens... now I know you've found a gf.

Anyhow, the BBC crew has wrapped because the last few days were so good.

I'll think you will find its because "They have such a small budget they couldn't possibly do anymore" :D :D :)

Dive safe

Dean(wheres my expenses sheet)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:27 AM

Had dinner with the Beeb crew last night. They didn't get their shots and and going back into bizniz. WP crew arrives tomorrow and we're in the water monday.
Sardine activity is good but viz has gone away. Looks like the pilot activity is past and now we wait for the main show.

Eric, remember the time we were following the ship with the dolphins on the opposite side of the IMAX boat.... that scene (minus us) is in WIld Oceans. :D

Drew

#16 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

I remember that too !
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

i'd love to go there again and do this .. it's on my list fo sho .... You in the same place as always with Peaky ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

Everybody came in ok. One of the guys had a delayed bag and South African Airways tried to deliver to where we are... BUT.. because Andrej was eagerly calling the driver to check on the progress, the guy ran into a donkey and killed the car and animal about 1.5 hrs from where we are. We ended up paying for someone to go pick up his bag.
On the activity end, the sardines are 15km long in activity and thousands of sharks, dolphins and birds litter the area. Viz is still shakey but tomorrow is the WP group's first day. Tough to get into action first day but I guess baptism by fire is nice too.

Drew

#18 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

Wish the best to the guys. Say hello to Pkee for me and Drew [the other] if he is around. How's TLC?
Stay away from Monkey's...
Have a good one.
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:36 AM

Boys got a good taste of 5000 dolphins which ran through us today. Alex and Andrej even got visits from humpbacks whilst shooting the dolphins but the viz was so bad they didn't see the whales while we were laughing on the boat. Viz is slowly improving so it's not bad for the 1st day.

Drew

#20 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Good god im jealous - it sounds absolutely awesome. Definately a holiday to go in the diary!!!!! :P :P :P

Lou

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com