• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brownegaz

brownegaz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

Im going on a Red Sea trip in September Im after some advice on getting a visa, Im flying into Hurghada from the UK 

Ive tried applying for a visa online at www.visa2egypt.gov.eg which is an extremely frustrating website to use, I would like to know if its less hassle to just queue up and get a visa on arrival.

Thanks

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2227 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:08 AM

I was there about 2 years ago and visa on arrival was certainly possible - although with the usual Egyptian system of queueing....... it took maybe 30 mins with a full flight of people. No big deal.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:49 AM

never did the online thing and been there probably like 20+ times, must be some new thing.

Just go straight into the "bank" counter (will look like small bank/ currency exchange type office) on the airport and ask for one, then stick it in your passport. These are the official government visa counters.  Costs 25$ US - i normally get the dollars before flying to avoid the hassle. if you pay with other currency, they normally accept it too (ie GBP / Euro etc,) though exchange rate might not be in your favor, albeit usually not much.

Never been to Hurghada airport as normally landing in Cairo or Sharm, but since its a "touristy" one, one thing to look out for (at least based on my Sharm experience) - don't go to the travel company desks and ignore shouting travel agents trying to shepherd you there. They are like touts, often positioned before the actual visa "banks", luring the naive tourists in. Sure you will get the visa, but you might end up paying double :)..plus last time i've been to Sharm, whole plane ran to the travel companies with massive queues, while 50 meters behind 2 bank offices were completely empty...had the visa in seconds while most ppl still queued :D Also remember to fill in (ideally on the plane, saves time) and keep your landing card - immigration officer will inspect both your visa and the landing card..plenty of ppl forget one and then have to go back to fill it. After that your visa will be most likely checked again by some security type right after passing the immigration desk.

One thing to check - I would assume that Australians (again assuming you are one :) ) get teh visa on arrival thing but might be worth checking out your embassy page.

Flight wise - guess Hurghada is a direct one so probably easyJet or Thomas Cook etc....but depending on your times have a look at Egypt Air - they won't fly direct though and instead via Cairo, so it will take longer. Price wise might be actually cheaper, especially in the summer (but check) and there is one main advantage (at least if you book "normal" economy) - 2x 23 kg luggage...you can really take plenty of stuff with you...very useful when you are smuggling a cat tree for your gf 4 cats :D

Alternatively (if you have time) is to take Eurostar and fly from Paris (or Brussels/ Amsterdam). (you can do open jaw and fly back to UK if needed)  - flights are way cheaper from the continent - UK has like the highest flight taxes in the world :S

Have fun!

Edited by makar0n, 05 July 2018 - 02:04 AM.

#4 brownegaz

brownegaz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:50 AM

Tim and Makar0n thanks for your replies

I will just jump on the queue and buy a visa at the airport on arrival

The websites selling visas that Ive looked at are charging around $90US for a visa !!!

Im flying from Gatwick to Hurghada on Eazyjet

Gary

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2227 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:03 AM

I'm sure it'll work just fine, Gary. As makar0n so wisely suggests, just avoid the touts and go straight to the visa office line. Having USDs definitely helps.

And have a cracking time!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 milchschnittae

milchschnittae

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:05 AM

been to Hurghada several times and never had any issues to get a visa. Just follow the tips of Makar0n. In the new Hurghada Airport, there are several signs, that even say "visa costs you 25$", so there are almost no people left trying to sell you one at double pices... Never had any issues to even pay in Euro. The exchange rate may have not been the best, but if you don't have any $ left, it is not worth to exchange in advance from my point of view.

#7 olivergreen

olivergreen

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:50 AM

Nice trip plan. If you can buy a Liverpool FC shirt with Mo Salah written back, then be ready to receive smiles from the locals :)

#8 geekgurl

geekgurl

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

We just got back from Hurghada.

The information that makar0n has given you is spot on.  Visa price is $25 dollars, avoid falling for the men loudly waving you into their direction.  Bank tellers were on the far right, dimly lit with no one in front other than travelers standing in line.  

Have a great trip!

#9 Daniel M. Brown

Daniel M. Brown

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for sharing information!