• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:29 AM

I am just back from a three week trip in Thailand. Very productive. The trip was mainly on a liveaboard charter organised by top cameraman Peter Scoones. Peter style of diving is simply to tie the boat up on a great reef and then have "pool is open" diving for day after day. There were only 8 of us on board and we all dived alone, going in when we wanted (for light or fish behaviour reasons). On this trip we dived mostly at East Of Eden in the Similans and Richelieu Rock.

Continually diving on the same site is very productive photographically. It allows you to watch and learn the patterns of behaviour and light. To discover where critters live and plan dives and optimise camera equipment around specific shots. It is an excellent style of diving for behaviour photography and for working on new creative techniques.

I shot much behaviour. These two started off looking as though they were mating and then ended up fighting. I presumed it was 2 males? I photographed the rejected male cuddling himself for reassurance a few minutes later (see the gallery).
Posted Image

Other behaviours I was pleased to capture included courtship of flame anthias, where the males swims below the females (note this is a different species to the one you usually see Indonesia - P. ignitus vs P. dispar)
Posted Image

And I shot plenty of cleaning too. Visually I like this shot of a cleaner wrasse in the gills of a map puffer.
Posted Image

With loads of time on the same reef and knowing where all the critters live (OK everyone knows where this eel lives on East Of Eden) made fish portraits really productive. This was shot with the Sigma 150mm and 500D dioptre.
Posted Image

I also continued my experiments with off camera strobes and finally started to get some pleasing images (rather than just photos of the effect). This one is perhaps the most obvious use. I like some of the subtler applications even more. (Article coming soon).
Posted Image

For ages I have been trying to make use of the Magic Filter to capture movement in a way you can't with flash. Finally I got the image I wanted with the reef sharp and the fish blurred. I like this shot (because I have been trying to get it for so long!) I hope others do too.
Posted Image

Another technique I tried on the trip was double exposures. This technique used to be popular on film, but nobody does it on digital because "it would be easier in photoshop". Actually trying the technique in camera made me realise some advantages to doing in Photoshop. Again article written, coming soon. This image was done entirely in camera:
Posted Image

As a minor point. I have also been using top lighting more and more. Especially good for subjects such as these Indian Ocean A. ephippium - where you want better strobe light penetration into the frame (so that you have even light and colour on both the foreground and mid-ground).
Posted Image

I also forced myself to shoot some wide angle without the fisheyes! Grrr. I hate it. I love my fisheyes. But I accept it is good for the diversity of my portfolio. Throughout the trip, much of the wideangle I was shooting was reef scenes with coral trout groupers and also glassfish. Here is one from the 12-24mm, I almost like it:
Posted Image

Finally I also tried a domeport designed by Peter Scoones for the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye (and almost flooded my camera when I tried to use it with the 10-17mm!). The port is really interesting, but I will have to check with Peter if he minds me writing about his innovations. Here is a photo I took with it and the 10.5mm fisheye (very, very close):
Posted Image

Anyway, the rest of the images can be seen here:
http://www.amustard....thai08_gal_temp

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

As always Alex, my pulse goes up a few beats when I see you have photos to post. Excellent stuff, now I have to review it all over and over and then wait for your articles.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:31 AM

Almost too much in one post, great images and even greater info, looking forward to the articals.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

Wow! Thanks Alex, spectacular stuff. Can I have the ones you throw away? The cleaner and the puffer is truly spectacular. You do have me scratching my head on the double exposure technique, can't wait for the article. Can you give us a hint?

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

I can only think of one word right now. WOW.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#6 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Absolutely awesome and inspiring!

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#7 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

Cracking pics Alex.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#8 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

love the pic of the cleaner wrasse checking out your ear :unsure:

also the CTW with the green grassy background, better than the normal coral background

the double exposure shot stands out too

the shot of the four-eyed hermit crab :wacko: caught my attention

some beautiful colours in the wide angle photos

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#9 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Kick-boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Alex....I would guess that you have taken a few underwater photos before.... :unsure:
Phenom images!!!

#10 wobby

wobby

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

Alex,

Another great collection of images. I must say you do inspire me, and hopefully others, to be a more creative and more inventive underwater photographer. Can't wait to read the articles.

Regards

Nigel

Digital fisher

website - www.nigelmarshphotography.com

#11 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all.

love the pic of the cleaner wrasse checking out your ear :unsure:
also the CTW with the green grassy background, better than the normal coral background
the shot of the four-eyed hermit crab :( caught my attention

Thanks John.

The cleaner wrasses in the Similans certainly like the taste of humans. It was one of the downsides of solo diving - would have been much easier to shoot this shot of someone else! Plus they would have been better looking. :wacko:
Here is the cleaner wrasse and me shot:
Posted Image

And cropped so you can see:
Posted Image

I liked the Christmas tree worm too. Such unusual colours for an UW shot - taken with the 150mm and 500D:
Posted Image

I think that the hermit crabs were mating. But I am not sure. The larger one (male?) seemed to driving the encounter and put his claws right around the female. She seemed to momentarily pop forward out of her shell - when I snapped this frame and then the encounter was over.
Posted Image

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#12 ilanbt

ilanbt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

You have some lovely shots in the gallery!

Edited by ilanbt, 07 April 2008 - 11:48 PM.

Nikon D300 - Sea&Sea Housing
2 Ikelite DS125 Strobes
Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro
Nikon 105mm VR
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4
Site - My Gallery

#13 aczyzyk

aczyzyk

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:24 AM

Wow. Great as usual!
Andrzej Czyzyk

www.flickr.com/photos/czyzyk/
D200, Sea&Sea DX-D200, Nikkor 10.5, Nikkor 105 VR, Tokina 12-24, 2xDS-125

#14 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback, all.

And cropped so you can see:
Posted Image

Alex

yummy, earwax... :unsure:

Great shots Alex

#15 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:41 AM

Alex, have you ever been checked for parasites? Never know what can live in those sideburns. :unsure:

Edited by loftus, 08 April 2008 - 05:41 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#16 Honza2

Honza2

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

Alex, beautiful assortment. Very inspirational.

#17 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Yes, I add my congrats too!!

Great images, the cleaner wrasse in the map puffer gil stands out in my mind - (Alex I think the map puffer has got one up on you for "slick looks"...... :D )

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the trip and saved your camera/housing!

Best, Carol

#18 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3496 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:20 AM

Well done Alex.

The cleaner shot in the gills is a winner. Wonderful work and a great collection. I too agree that sitting on a sit for a day or more is the way to go. You get a much btter perspective of what is taking place on the reef and therefore a great chance at capturing a unique image.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#19 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

Excellent Photos Alex!!!!

I always like to look at your pictures because you have a very unusual way to take pictures of usual creatures. And some great behavior shots too!!!

Best regards,

Marcelo

#20 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

Great pictures as always. A thought provoking post. I too can see some definite advantages of the boat sitting in one spot for the day, a great opportunity, especially for photographers. Thanks for posting!
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us