#1 foiegras

foiegras

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:38 AM

Hey guys,

I hoper that you can give me some advice - 

My Inon D-2000 strobe somehow died underwater (the eneloop batteries I guess, first kind of fume coming out, then the bubbles ) subsequently flooded.

By chance I got an Z-240 Strobe Replacement Unit for a very good price at Ebay, I thought it could be worth a try - but I couldn't find any "inside the strobe" pictures or plans

online - my problem is that I want to connect the light detection sensor (Is there a specific expression for it?) that fires the strobe to the whole unit.

For now I just have the bare cables. I attached a few pictures so that you know what I mean...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Images

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4107.jpg
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4104.jpg

#2 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

Hi, M. Foiegras:

The first step is to realize that strobes use high voltage capacitors.  Their charge can curl your hair, throw you across the room or give you cardiac arrest.  The second step is to find somebody who really knows electronics to help you, so you do not end up looking like Dr. Frankenstein's creation, with a zipper neck.

The photo of the Z240 electronic unit shows a loop of a white cable.  This might be joined to the white cable of the D2000 red housing.  Hopefully there is a mating black cable somewhere in the Z240.  But do Not mate them, nor load batteries until a knowledgeable person has checked you out, for the reasons just mentioned.

Another course of action, the wisest IMHO, is to put both of these units up for sale, and then, with the proceeds take a friend out for dinner.  This will provide for both a pleasant evening and might save you from some overly exciting high voltage moments.

Please take careful care of yourself, and Best of Luck!

Edited by Kraken de Mabini, 21 November 2018 - 07:43 PM.