Photo
- - - - -

Canon announces EOS 7D (Official Thread)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:21 PM

Dpreview for 7D is out:

Official Canon 7D website

http://www.dpreview....ews/canoneos7d/

Offers 24p, in-camera video editing
$1700 US

High ISO shots here:
http://www.robgalbra...d=7-10042-10239
Looks good up to ISO 1600.

Bring on the housings!

-Brad

Edited by Drew, 31 August 2009 - 11:57 PM.

Canon 7D in a Subal housing
Sea&Sea YS-250Pro strobes
http://www.montereydiving.com

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Brad. Somebody better tell Jean to get the folks working overtime.

It's also up on the Canon website and Amazon has it already listed for preorder ($1699)

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by Steve Williams, 31 August 2009 - 11:01 PM.

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

Looks a fantastic camera. How close is it to fitting in existing housings?

Can't help thinking that they make a big much about "designed with the photographer in mind", which is in almost every paragraph of the press release. Who did they have in mind when designing all their previous cameras?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

Alex
That just means they changed the copywriter! :wacko:

Sigh...I like! I'll preorder one. :(

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:46 PM

Dpreview for 7D is out:

http://www.dpreview....ews/canoneos7d/

Offers 24p, in-camera video editing
$1700 US

High ISO shots here:
http://www.robgalbra...d=7-10042-10239
Looks good up to ISO 1600.

Bring on the housings!

-Brad

More info also at Imaging Resource

#6 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:54 PM

Looks a fantastic camera. How close is it to fitting in existing housings?

Alex

The On/Off switch moved when compared to 40/50D and 5D and a couple of new buttons, many of the buttons are to the left of the LCD like the 5D and 30D, while the 40D/50D had them on the bottom.

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

In other words, another new housing :wacko: There goes the 1D series compatibility.
I like the dedicated video button and the 720p60/50 and the 1080p24/25/30. Still does force me to go get EF-S lenses which I will resist since this is the last APS-C camera I'll get. I'll keep the 5D2 as the walkaround.
The weather sealing on this seems better.

Oh and guys PLEASE DO NOT mod DPREVIEW pics and post them here without their permission. It's against their copyright.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

In other words, another new housing :( There goes the 1D series compatibility.

Yeah looks that way, even beyond some of the DIY mods that come up around here.

I like the dedicated video button and the 720p60/50 and the 1080p24/25/30. Still does force me to go get EF-S lenses which I will resist since this is the last APS-C camera I'll get. I'll keep the 5D2 as the walkaround.
The weather sealing on this seems better.

Does not look like they added weather sealing to the new EF-S lenses, though I may have missed that. So I guess L lens for that. I have a 17-55mm f/2.8 EF-S lens and used that alot, but the new EF-S lenses look like they could be good. Just wish they came out with a 15-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM :wacko:

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:14 AM

I won't buy any EF-S lenses because there's no weather sealing. That new 100 IS looks sweet :wacko: Damn I suddenly see MANY 100mm macros on the 2nd hand market LOL

Drew

#10 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:11 AM

Does anyone foresee this camera taking the place of the 5D Mkii as the preferred “video/still” camera for canon shooters? The 7D gives us more options when it comes to frame rates, the shorter wide angle lenses “10mm” will yield greater depth of field (not sure how much of an issue that really is with the 5D video function) as well as a higher bit rate than the 5D.I will also be able to use my favorite Tok 10-17mm with this body.

The reason I ask is that I have a 50D in a housing and was planning to get a housing for my 5D so I could start shooting a little video underwater as well. Now I am not sure if I should just wait for 6 months for the first housings to start coming out and get one for a 7D.

Thanks

#11 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

Somewhere in the details it says the new metering system uses a dual-layer sensor, one layer sensitive to red/green, the other to blue/green. Apparently, the standard sensors are biased to red. I wonder if this has impact on UW shooting.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

Well I don't know about preferred but I'm getting one for the refined video control and for telephoto shooting. The weathersealing looks better than the 5D2 and the crop gives a bit more "reach". I'm sure there'll be even better features in the 1D series. I'd still keep the 5D2 as I like 21mp and full frame is the future.
What's real interesting is the TTL flash control. The days of Sync cords may be over once this is tapped. I'd consider housing 2 580EX IIs and get high speed sync.
I'm not sure how the housing peeps are going to make the Liveview and start/stop switch work though.

Drew

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

8 FPS, a pretty decent viewfinder (compared to the 1D) and great video - looks like a great all-round camera. AND - it will work well w/ the Tokina 10-17!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#14 onewolf

onewolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Diving, Fishing, Photography, Kayaking

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

8 FPS, a pretty decent viewfinder (compared to the 1D) and great video - looks like a great all-round camera. AND - it will work well w/ the Tokina 10-17!

Cheers
James

I foresee a 7D UW system in my future when I decide to go to an SLR system.

(Primary) Nauticam 550D, Canon T2i, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 100mm IS, Tokina 10-17FE, Zen 100mm domeport, Nauticam 180deg viewfinder, Dual S&S YS-110a, SOLA 600 focus light, Dual AOI RGBlue video lights, GoPro Hero 2

(Backup) Olympus E-PM1, PT EP-06, Olympus 14-42 II, Olympus 60mm macro

--- Visit My Website ---

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Ok so I may buy one lousy crop lens... but that's it! :wacko:
Actually has anyone seen if it can handle 18mp? I mean I've seen purple fringing on it on a D2x.

Drew

#16 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

Ok so I may buy one lousy crop lens... but that's it! :(

Careful, that's how the downard sprial starts.

I swore I would be happy with one lens. Now 5-6 lenses later, now I think I am set and will only get L Series from now on, unless I get a 7D Kit of course. :wacko:

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

I'm a very careful buyer. Stuff I buy I keep for a long time...so long I can't find them!
I'd be interested to see this higher bitrate video. The 40mbps of the 5D2 is hampered by the sampling. Wonder if they have a new way of doing things. In which case, it'll be my main camera :wacko:

Drew

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

I figured some 5D2 peeps would be unhappy with the release of 1080p24/25/29.97 ON TOP of 720p50/60. Here's Phil Bloom's thoughts on the subject:
*** There're quite a few expletives in the video subtitles. So if you are offended by that, don't play it.

Drew

#19 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

I figured some 5D2 peeps would be unhappy with the release of 1080p24/25/29.97 ON TOP of 720p50/60. Here's Phil Bloom's thoughts on the subject:

:wacko:

So cool ... and true ... Glad I wasn't sucked into the 5D MKII straight away ... Altho I may wait a little while further even :(

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#20 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

That's awesome! Laughed so much!