• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JanBlack

JanBlack

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:07 AM

I am a videographer. and for a while, I tried a SLR setup for video. I get great results, but find it a bit difficult to achieve them.

Therefore, I am considering switching my setup to a camcorder. I would very much like to receive advice on what good camcorders are on the market at the moment and that can match up with Canon 70D video quality.

Regards

Jan

#2 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:51 AM

If you want to use camcorder, then you will have to look for housing first. Once you found a housing company (i.e. Gate), then look at their product line up and see what camcorder do they make housing for, then go from there. Sadly, consumer camcorder housing choices are rare now.

#3 JanBlack

JanBlack

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:29 AM

thanks for the advice. I will investigate which housings from different manufacturers look interesting and take it from there.

#4 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:11 AM

I just went though this dilemma (see the "Winter Musings" thread in this section, if you want to see the details).  Sadly, there are very few camcorders with housings that meet the current video quality that we are coming to expect.  In my case, it came down to a choice between the Sony AX700 in a Gates housing versus the Panasonic GH5 in a Nauticam housing.  I finally decided, after a lot of waffling back and forth, on the GH5.  However, I have not received it yet, and therefore have not had a chance to get it wet and see how it all works in practice.  You can see the decision process in that thread if you are interested, or you can contact me via PM if you would like to discuss offline.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#5 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:27 PM

I’ve been through a similar debate too. I have never used a dslr for video and could not let go of the ergonomics of a camcorder. It is true that a quality camcorder in a quality housing wins this debate easily but such setup could be too expensive to be justified for many of us. And such quality might be housed in a bulky heavy housing. At the end I’ve opted for a GH5s in a Nauticam housing. And my friend chose the GH5. We are all happy :). Not only the GH5/s produces quality video but also comes in a small light form factor. And although you don’t get the same ergonomics as a camcorder, usability is quite good once the rig is balanced. And let’s not forget that the color rendition of this camera is wonderful.
Best Regards,
Thani