2 replies to this topic

#1 eeyore

eeyore

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:45 AM

Hi

I'm new to all this and I expect to be called an idiot for these questions. You're probably right. I shoot with a sony camera and edit with adobe premier pro. My files are massive, 30 mins 10 gig, and I know there is a way to end up with a smaller useable file but I don't know how. I also have a problem with the transitions flickering between shots. Is there a software package that will fix this? I have a basic understanding of premier so I would prefer not to start again. Any help or advice will be welcome.

Thanks

#2 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:49 AM

some of the video experts familiar with premier may help more than me but a couple suggestions.

video files are always huge, especially if you're shooting with an HD camera. I think you need to edit at the native resolution, but you can downsize when you export the edited movie. I don't know premier, but you usually choose Export from the File or another menu and can choose the type of file and compression ratio to suit your needs. You may need to experiment with different ones.

With the transitions it could be a couple things, if you haven't rendered the sequence yet, it my flicker because the program can't handle the transition b/w large files. The most likely cause is if you don't give enough extra space at the end of the clip.

If, for example, you have a 30 frame transition, there must be at least 15 frames BEYOND the MARKED end point of each clip to allow the transition. If you mark the end point at the actual end of the clip, there's no room. Or, if the shot changes (i.e. when filming you stopped & restarted recording) within 15 frames of the MARKED end of the clip, you'll see that shot change inside the transition, creating a flicker. Just navigate through the transition frame by frame, using the arrow key, to see exactly what happens.

This can be really irritating and when starting you quickly learn to always give a couple seconds of extra room at the beginning and end of each shot when filming just for this purpose.

Hope this helps. Cheers,

Chris

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

eeyore
I moved this to the appropriate forum. Please use the video forum for video questions. I don't check the other areas much for video related stuff.
It would be helpful if you gave us more details like camera model and shooting format. Premiere Pro does transcode certain formats to a different codec for editing. It's impossible to help you without more detail.
You may also wish to search the video forum for editing related threads regarding your format. Unless it's XDCAM HD50, it should be covered.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.