3 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_L_91

Nick_L_91

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Hiking, Astronomy, Film making, Photography

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

I was thinking of starting video and I was wondering where do I start?  I have been shooting Dslr's for years now and with my previous job had hands on with mirrorless and point and shoot.  I want to avoid GoPros and action camera because of their wide field of view.  Plus I do prefer rectilinear lenses.  So I was wondering what do you all suggest?  What gear and cameras should I be looking at?  Also is 4k worth it?

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2369 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:50 AM

4K is worth yes rectilinear lenses give issues underwater see dome optics more or less everybody is moving away from them but you can still have decent results if you don't pixel peep

Panasonic GH5 gives good results in the MFT or you can go higher with BMPCC 4K or a full DSLR

https://www.youtube....h?v=cxdPDUFrEQs

DSLR because of larger sensor have depth of field challenges in video so in my opinion for 4K there is no need for an SLR as long as you don-t need high ISO performance the next step from BPMCC would be a Red I would not bother at all with Nikon Canon Sony full frame for video although others have great results so it is a matter of personal preference

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 sidcaver

sidcaver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:14 PM

I guess where you start depends on how much you want to spend. I just put my Sony RX100 setup for sale and am starting the 4K journey with a GH5S. IMHO it's all about the lights when it comes to video. 

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2369 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:10 AM

I guess where you start depends on how much you want to spend. I just put my Sony RX100 setup for sale and am starting the 4K journey with a GH5S. IMHO it's all about the lights when it comes to video. 

I was one the first to use the RX100 for video and until Mark II I was happy with it. Then 4K has changed everything and also the housing with port system really make compact cameras pointless

I am not doing write ups of my GH5 journey on my blog http://interceptor121.com

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog