13 replies to this topic

#1 benedika

benedika

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:55 AM

Hi,

i want to share my recent video from Bali with you.

It was the first time in the water with the GH5. I shot with mWB in CineD, with only 1080p 8bit, with Pana 7-14, Athena Dome and Oly 12-50 with my old Macro Mate.

For the beginning  I shot with this resolution because i don´t wanted  to render 400+ clips into proxy files.

All was shot in MF mode, or Locked Focus for the WA, The Tambia nudibranch was in Autofocus AFS.

I like the WA shots (taken at 10 to 16 meter), i´m not fully satisfied with the macro sharpness. I don´t know if it´s just the lense set up or the circumstance i shot with 10f or  max 14f. The Oly isn´t the best lense in sharpness too, unfortunately. I have to figure this out on the next trip.

I had no monitor on my set up. What a pain!

Let me know what you think!

Alex.

#2 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:55 AM

Hi,

It was the first time in the water with the GH5. I shot with mWB in CineD, with only 1080p 8bit, with Pana 7-14, Athena Dome and Oly 12-50 with my old Macro Mate.

For the beginning  I shot with this resolution because i don´t wanted  to render 400+ clips into proxy files.

All was shot in MF mode, or Locked Focus for the WA, The Tambia nudibranch was in Autofocus AFS.

I like the WA shots (taken at 10 to 16 meter), i´m not fully satisfied with the macro sharpness. I don´t know if it´s just the lense set up or the circumstance i shot with 10f or  max 14f. The Oly isn´t the best lense in sharpness too, unfortunately. I have to figure this out on the next trip.

I had no monitor on my set up. What a pain!

Let me know what you think!

Alex.

Wow very good editing indeed. I liked it!

Hence you did not used red filter at all for WA shot?

How did you get the urchins time lapse? Did you leave your camera alone or is it a short time frame?

Some of the macro shot are a bit cold for my taste but it's just a personal preference. 

I liked a lot the closing camera movement on the large coral fan.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#3 benedika

benedika

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:58 AM

Thank you for the comment Davide!

No red filter used. You can easily do mWB down to 20 meter and get amazing results after colorgrading. All i did, i adjusted the blues to max (lower right corner), because on the cam the picture looked greenish.

This is a photo timelapse with 1 sec interval/around 500 pics, duration around 10min. I did 6 timelapses. In the meanwhile i hung out around the camera. It was at the dive site Puri Jati on 5-6 meters depth.

You find the macro shots cold? Hmm...but they are really saturated.

#4 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:32 AM

Thank you for the comment Davide!

No red filter used. You can easily do mWB down to 20 meter and get amazing results after colorgrading. All i did, i adjusted the blues to max (lower right corner), because on the cam the picture looked greenish.

Amazing results indeed. GH5 color rendition is superb. From what I see it seems that Pana made a lot of improvements on color engine respect the GH4.

This is a photo timelapse with 1 sec interval/around 500 pics, duration around 10min. I did 6 timelapses. In the meanwhile i hung out around the camera. It was at the dive site Puri Jati on 5-6 meters depth.

Really a good idea.

You find the macro shots cold? Hmm...but they are really saturated.

Yes I see they are saturated but some shots seems a bit on the green/blue side. maybe it's my cheap monitor. Anyway just don't care of me :)
I agree that macros seems a bit soft. I saw Nick got impressive results with the Oly 12-50. Maybe is the Macro Mate?

Anyway a great video.
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.

#5 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Very impressive film. I loved your opening shots, which really established the mood. Thanks for sharing.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#6 benedika

benedika

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

Yes I see they are saturated but some shots seems a bit on the green/blue side. maybe it's my cheap monitor. Anyway just don't care of me :)
I agree that macros seems a bit soft. I saw Nick got impressive results with the Oly 12-50. Maybe is the Macro Mate?

Anyway a great video.

Which Nick? Nick Hope?

Very impressive film. I loved your opening shots, which really established the mood. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

#7 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Yes Nick Hope

#8 SWink

SWink

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Great video - I really liked it.

The wide angle shots in particular were excellent.

Cheers

Steve

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm, & Olypmus 14-42mm, 12-50mm 60mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#9 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

I cant view this clip, not even pasting the link into vimeo directly.  "Page no found"...... 

#10 benedika

benedika

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

interesting. i replaced the video before. i did a replacement of the replacement. it should work again now.

#11 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:27 AM

Works now! Very nice! Id probably add a bit of saturation / color boost here and there, but thats a matter of taste. Great edit!

The oly 10-50 can be quite sharp, the problem is that it can only really be operated with auto focus underwater, which is only second-best when it comes to macro.

But as davide says, Nick proofs that it can be done. im not there yet :)

Edited by bubffm, 01 December 2017 - 06:47 AM.

#12 kmhanson

kmhanson

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:37 AM

Did you use a tripod for any of the macro shots?

#13 benedika

benedika

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Works now! Very nice! Id probably add a bit of saturation / color boost here and there, but thats a matter of taste. Great edit!

The oly 10-50 can be quite sharp, the problem is that it can only really be operated with auto focus underwater, which is only second-best when it comes to macro.

#14 benedika

benedika

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

Not that sharp in MF?? I have to test it.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8200 mit Tapatalk

Did you use a tripod for any of the macro shots?

I used one, but not always

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8200 mit Tapatalk