• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

Wetpixel received an anonymous email with a rumor that Truk Lagoon's SS Thorfinn is wrecked in Pohnpei:

The Thorfin has an engine room filling up with water. It came into Pohnpei and loaded up 70,000 gallons of used oil from PUC and there were not enough pilots to have one come aboard on the way out. A pilot was on each of the two ships leading the way and the Thorfin was following the two lead ships and went on the reef yesterday.

A tug boat from Adams helped keep it upright during the night but after the high tide at 3a.m.; it was not able to get it off the reef. Adams is standing by now with a barge to pump out the oil if called upon to do so. At this point there is not way to save the ship. It is about one mile from the dock and in my estimation will not hurt anything if it goes down where it is located at the moment.

Can anyone verify or provide additional information? :D
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#2 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

Wetpixel received an anonymous email with a rumor that Truk Lagoon's SS Thorfinn is wrecked in Pohnpei:
Can anyone verify or provide additional information? :D

http://www.micsem.or...iscussionID=752

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#3 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:00 AM

Thats pretty good photo evidence there ... OUCH!!! a 12" hole !!
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:27 AM

Interesting - I'm not a salvage expert (OK well maybe I am) but I can offer an opinion here. If the vessel is aground upright with that much freeboard exposed (as seen in the photos), and the 12" hole/gash can be plugged from the inside, a few people onboard with pumps can dewater and float the ship. Then it needs to be towed to a drydock for a structural inspection and repair.

If the gash is not in a fuel oil tank then the ship should not pose an immediate environmental threat - as long as it is salvaged quickly. This is not an easy operation, but with the right equipment can be done in a few days.

This is what they do all the time with tugboats that sink in shallow water.

Cheers
James

FYI - the probable reason there is still a crew-member onboard the Thorfin is that once the crew all leaves the vessel can be salvaged by anyone and then the law of the sea kicks in. :-)
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:45 PM

problem in Micronesia James is lack of proper equipment..

There is an ugly ship wreck in Yap harbour that has been here for 3 years and people always ask why no one gets rid of it. Simple: no equipment

Here's hoping they can get it off in one pieceand keep it afloat.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 Sloss

Sloss

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

Ouch,

Just saw the photos myself, what a bummer. I agree with Mike here, not a lot of help out in Micronesia, but as James said, if there is no oil leak from the hole in the engine room, with a few pumps, some towels, a couple of cut-up wetsuits, a few 2x4's and a big bucket of Splash Zone, old Lance can plug that hole, pump the water out and hopefully find a way to get that vessel off the reef. As far as limited supplies go, he can find them all on that island, that is for sure.

Good luck,
Doug
Underwater Lightroom - Manage, Edit, Showcase - Make it Easy on Yourself
Underwater Photoshop - Take digital editing to a new level...

#7 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

We received more photos of the wrecked boat from Pohnpei resident Michael J. Sipos - they've been posted on the front page.
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#8 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Any update on this news??

#9 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thorfinn refloated, moored in safe harbor at Pohnpei !

http://www.cdnn.info...y/i070717a.html
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#10 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

Has anyone heard news about the Thorfin?

Last news was photos of the decks awash!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#11 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

Thorfinn refloated, moored in safe harbor at Pohnpei !

http://www.cdnn.info...y/i070717a.html

<_< I would not believe a word of anything posted CDNN, ESPECIALLY about the Thorfinn, which has been rated the #1 live-aboard in the world for as many years as they have been paying off CDNN to not publish the truth. Sorry, but they are just not a reliable source for any real news.

#12 ChristianG

ChristianG

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:27 AM

<_< I would not believe a word of anything posted CDNN, ESPECIALLY about the Thorfinn, which has been rated the #1 live-aboard in the world for as many years as they have been paying off CDNN to not publish the truth. Sorry, but they are just not a reliable source for any real news.

Hmmm, you obviously don't like either CDNN (which I can understand, to an extent) or the Thorfinn.

Yes, the Thorfinn has an idiosyncratic Captain, but in my opinion that just makes him an interesting character and I get on pretty well with him as a result. Personally I don't need fawning and Lance quite certainly does not fawn - he is "take it or leave it" and I, for one, can respect that.

At least the Thorfinn doesn't hook directly into the wrecks, a sin I consider far worse than her (questionable) reputation.

Cheers,

Christian
There is nothing more certain in life than taxes, decompression theory and death - CG

#13 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hmmm, you obviously don't like either CDNN (which I can understand, to an extent) or the Thorfinn.

I have nothing against the Thorfinn except that they have for years supported the illegal and unethical practices of CDNN to promote their own cause. Its pretty obvious that they have a long way to go before they are even close to being a top rated live-aboard operation.

My point was that you cannot believe what CDNN publishes on their website.

#14 diverdon

diverdon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Motorcycles, Boats, PWC, Scuba, Photography, Nanotech, Manufacturing,

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have nothing against the Thorfinn except that they have for years supported the illegal and unethical practices of CDNN to promote their own cause. Its pretty obvious that they have a long way to go before they are even close to being a top rated live-aboard operation.

My point was that you cannot believe what CDNN publishes on their website.

I have something against the Thorfin. I spent a week at the mercy of captain Lance & his misbegotten crew once. It's the one of the worst weeks of my life. Lance is an arrogant jerk and the crew are slovenly hostile lagabouts. If this saves future customers from them then it is a good thing.
www.uwworld.com