2 replies to this topic

#1 mymokarran

mymokarran

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

Hello!

I am just starting out in the UWP world! I will be purchasing my underwater housing soon and was wondering what strobes are good to get for beginners.

Is it alright to start with one? or do I need to get two right away?

Besides the strobes, what else should I be paying attention to?

Cheers,

Mokarran

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2212 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

Hi Mokarran

You can certainly start with one strobe and then get a second when you are ready. The technique you use with one is slightly different compared to two - but it's all part of a good learning curve.

As regards which strobes to buy, it's worth doing a bit of a search on strobes here on Wetpixel. I think you'll find that Inon strobes are very popular especially the Z240 model - which was discontinued recently.  But you will see people selling them in the Classifieds. The new model is the Z330 but hard to get at the moment. Check out too views on Sea and Sea strobes.

Whilst you may find you change camera and housing from time to time, if you pick the right strobes, they can move with you as you possibly change system. So worth picking them carefully and getting something good.

Likewise arms and clamps which you will need to hold the strobes. You will likely only buy one set as they last for years (I've had mine for almost 20 years) so buy well! Check out views on ULCS arms..... 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 Xterra

Xterra

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:28 AM

You may also decide if you like wide angle or Macro  to start out with. Of course you can do both just requires different ports and costs more. Also Lighting techniques are very different.