• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skeptic14

Skeptic14

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

After a year and a half since diving or doing any underwater photography I took a trip down to GC last week for a few days of diving.  It was great being back in the water.  I was definitely a little rusty and my technique sloppy for some shots that should've turned out way better, but overall it was a lot of fun getting back into this hobby.

All feedback and comments welcome.

https://www.flickr.c...th/47826829311/

#2 DS256

DS256

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:33 AM

Great shots Skeptic14. My wife and I dive Cayman frequently but have never been up to Rays Bedroom, Lemon Drop or Durgon Domain outside North Sound. Which dive shop were you with? 

#3 Skeptic14

Skeptic14

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Great shots Skeptic14. My wife and I dive Cayman frequently but have never been up to Rays Bedroom, Lemon Drop or Durgon Domain outside North Sound. Which dive shop were you with? 

Thanks.

I did my boat dives with Living the Dream.  I've used them twice now and would use them again, they keep the number of divers low and their boats are very nice. 

Who do you and your wife dive with typically and what side of the island?  Any sites you particularly like? 

I was very impressed with the shore dive at lighthouse point, will probably do at least one dive there anytime I return to the west side of GC.

#4 DS256

DS256

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:25 AM

My wife has some back and hip problems so we've been using the resorts that are part of Clearly Cayman. They provide a 'valet' style service so my wife does not need to walk with a tank on her back. So, we normally do a package including accommodation. We've done all three islands with them.

We've also dove a lot with Sunset Divers. They are just 20 minutes south of George Town walking.

You may also want to consider attending one of Cathy Church's annual Photofests in May. A great week of morning photography and afternoons of lectures on different topics. What I like about these is that you dive one relatively shallow dive site for the morning. As you need to, you come up, stay in the water, and the boat crew changes out your tanks. You can spend a lot of bottom time at one spot getting that one great picture you want. It's a dive week for U/W photographers.

Some of my favourite dive sites are Devil's Grotto which is reachable as a shore dive from Eden Rock divers. Also like the Doc Poulson and Aquarium. Killer Pillar has some great Pillar corals. You can see some older pictures of mine at http://caymanmarinel...aishfamily.net/

Edited by DS256, 13 May 2019 - 03:29 AM.

#5 Skeptic14

Skeptic14

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

My wife has some back and hip problems so we've been using the resorts that are part of Clearly Cayman. They provide a 'valet' style service so my wife does not need to walk with a tank on her back. So, we normally do a package including accommodation. We've done all three islands with them.

We've also dove a lot with Sunset Divers. They are just 20 minutes south of George Town walking.

You may also want to consider attending one of Cathy Church's annual Photofests in May. A great week of morning photography and afternoons of lectures on different topics. What I like about these is that you dive one relatively shallow dive site for the morning. As you need to, you come up, stay in the water, and the boat crew changes out your tanks. You can spend a lot of bottom time at one spot getting that one great picture you want. It's a dive week for U/W photographers.

Some of my favourite dive sites are Devil's Grotto which is reachable as a shore dive from Eden Rock divers. Also like the Doc Poulson and Aquarium. Killer Pillar has some great Pillar corals. You can see some older pictures of mine at http://caymanmarinel...aishfamily.net/

I have thought about doing an uw photography workshop and the Cathy Church one on GC sounds pretty good, perhaps one day!

I haven't dived with Clearly Cayman or Sunset divers to compare but Living the Dream is pretty valet, they carry your gear to the back of the boat where they help you in your BC and then one step and your in and then the reverse at the end of the dive. 

How do Brac and Little cayman compare to GC?  Seems the general consensus is they are better, just less topside and adding a puddle jumper over to them after getting to GC.

Thanks for sharing your link; seems I had my initial and terminal stoplight parrotfish reversed.

Edited by Skeptic14, 13 May 2019 - 03:54 PM.

#6 DS256

DS256

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:10 AM

My wife and I love the sister islands. Much more quiet. Must be what GC used to be. Diving is great. 

Beware the weight restrictions on flights especially to Little Cayman where you are on a Twin Otter. If you fly to Brac, you can look and book on the jet that continues on to Jamaica.