Photo
- - - - -

GoPro Hero 7 Black - Sharpness & WB settings underwater?

gopro video settings water underwater hero7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 underwaterguy

underwaterguy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Freediving

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:00 PM

I've been reading some posts online recommending that for "on land" shooting, the Hero 7 sharpness be set to "low" for more natural looking footage. I haven't gotten to use mine in the water yet but I'm wondering if settings of "medium" or "high" might yield better results underwater where the overall environment is less sharp than on land due to less that gin-clear visibility. Any recommendations for WB of "auto" or "native" (or some other choice) would be helpful, too. I'd be free diving with the camera a depths of 30ft of less. Thanks! 

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2386 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

30 feet is almost like land. The GoPro produces heavily compressed footage it is best to get the results as good as you can from the outset as the idea of flat profile when you are compressing 4K in 72 mbps HEVC just does not hold well. Try to get the footage as good as possible without having to touch it which means filters and light within the limits of the tiny sensor of the camera.

30 feet a nice red fiter should be enough

Sharpness is always not good in any camera and could create problems with water so i would keep that to low but you can run some tests yourself

You will find millions of youtube video telling you that you can process protune flat etc etc but the reality is that it is just too compressed and you will be wasting your time in my opinion. 

Edited by Interceptor121, 18 April 2019 - 03:04 AM.

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 A.Y.

A.Y.

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:46 PM

White Balance: Underwater Auto WB for the 7 Black is much improved and I normally don't use filter down to 5 meters (16 feet). Beyond that, I recommend using a Flip Dive Filter since colors are harder to recover at deeper depths. Protune Auto WB is more stable than previous generations and color shifting is minimum.

Sharpness: I leave it at "Medium" and never feel the need to sharpen 4K 60p clips any further. Also, 1/60 sec or faster shutters keep 4K 60p video frames from getting too soft since 60p videos don't need motion blur to look smooth.

HEVC: 7 Black H.265 at 78 Mb/s can capture more details and better motion than H.264 at more than twice the data rate (156+ Mb/s), made possible by advanced codec engineering and much faster camera and computer processors! Example: bandwidth required for 4K broadcast: HEVC H.265 15 Mb/s vs H.264 32 Mb/s.

All of the 4K 60p clips in this video were recorded with Protune above 10 meters (32 feet) without filter: https://youtu.be/Jc_NuFilVuU As usual, the YouTube version is much softer than the edited ProRes output.

Edited by A.Y., 22 April 2019 - 08:00 AM.

#4 A.Y.

A.Y.

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:14 AM

GoPro 7 Black provides option to use either HEVC H.265 or H.264 for many 1080, 2K, and 4K frame rates, but won't record H.264 at higher data rate to compensate for the codec shortcomings, resulting in lower quality videos!

This YouTube video let you see for yourself (at 38sec mark) HEVC H.265 @ 320kbps outperforms H.264 @ 640kbps in overall image quality, especially in capturing motions.

7 Black HEVC H.265 videos can be viewed on the newer smartphones (iPhone XR was mistakenly omitted): https://gopro.com/he...cles/block/hevc

#5 underwaterguy

underwaterguy

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Freediving

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

Thank you for the 3 replies to my questions. I apparently have notifications set wrong somewhere, because I didn't know these responses were here and just saw them now. I'll dig into the suggestions and experiment soon. Much appreciated! 

#6 Phaero

Phaero

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

Hi Underwaterguy,

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes — have been thinking of picking up a new Hero7 Black and would value the advice before splashing out! 

Cheers!

Thank you for the 3 replies to my questions. I apparently have notifications set wrong somewhere, because I didn't know these responses were here and just saw them now. I'll dig into the suggestions and experiment soon. Much appreciated! 

#7 A.Y.

A.Y.

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

7black-wb.jpg

These two 4K 60p video frames show 7 Black Protune Auto WB is much improved over the older models. Correcting colors for 10-meter (30-foot) videos should be pretty easy! However, using a filter below 8 meters (26 feet) is highly recommended!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gopro, video, settings, water, underwater, hero7