Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:11 AM

For those who have been in the bandwagon of Canon and Sony Point and Shoot, this is worth a look and switch

Let's hope Nauticam has its housing by Xmas:

http://www.dpreview....lumix-dmc-lx100

#2 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

I agree, this looks like it may be a really excellent fixed-lens camera. 

#3 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

This looks really interesting. I've been stuck on the G series cameras happy with the macro but very unhappy with the inability to do TTL in manual mode. Maybe this addresses that. One thing that is not at all clear is how you use Av/M/Tv on this camera. (just from looking at the controls).

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

Vondo, the answer to your question of P/S/A/M mode is in this video, skip to 5:25 :

I do have a bit concern, the flash is going to be in the hotshoe, so the housing could be a bit tall. The lens barrel seems a bit long once it's fully extended, so hopefully Nauticam has no problem with it.

The 3cm focus distance for the Macro is really great. It's also really great that it goes up to f16, which may not need and ND filter after all. Early November is going to be a long time to wait!

#5 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Thanks. It's old-school :-) Shutter on the camera, aperture on the lens, A(automatic) for both is P. Will take some getting used to after all of these years.

3 cm at 24mm. 30cm at 75mm close focus. I hope that's not an issue for macro.

Canon released a G7 X which looks promising as well, but I fully expect it will be needlessly crippled in the manual flash department. 

#6 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'm not sure if the Canon G7X is a direct competitor to the LX100. The Canon G1X Mark 2 is more the direct competitor to the LX100, if you don't talk about video feature. But I believe Canon is suffering from focus speed these days. The LX100 has the focus speed of the GH4, so it would benefit photographer a lot. 

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

I hope Nauticam does not bother at all about still images and does a video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#8 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

I think the G7 X is aimed at the RX100 series. I mention it only as another possibility I might consider.

#9 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Well, if Nauticam is smart enough, they should already have a solution just require minor tweaking, and they can sell more product!

http://www.uwphotogr...h-trigger-canon

I have been shooting in manual instead of TTL, so not having TTL is not really an issue for me. Finger cross, hopefully LX100 housing is being plan asap.

#10 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

I'm shooting full manual too but find that adjusting the output of the two Inons takes long enough that it slows me down or causes me to miss shots. Any advice is appreciated. :-)

#11 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I hope Nauticam does not bother at all about still images and does a video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash

I am only interested in this for use on land, so I had not thought about the flash issue.  That would be quite a hump, but I highly doubt Nauticam would create a video-only housing for a camera like this.  I hope someone can work it out for those of you looking at this for underwater use.

#12 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

Nauticam has created video versions for the rx100 so they could do it for a 4K camera

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#13 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:50 AM

Nauticam has created video versions for the rx100 so they could do it for a 4K camera

Nauticam offers a "video only" housing for the RX100?  One that does not accommodate the use of optically fired strobes, thus rendering still photography impractical?  That is odd; I cannot find such a creature on their website, even looking at discontinued models.  What was the model number for this housing?  

#14 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

Rx100V it has the hdmi bulkhead to connect the dp4 monitor. However it also work with integral flash that the rx100 has

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#15 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

More close up pictures of the LX-100:

http://www.theverge....tokina-hands-on

The hot shoe flash is really thick, and the lens barrel is quite long. Really tempted to pre-order it since I need a UW camera 1st week of December for a small dive trip to Florida, but I think the chance of Nauticam has a housing at the end of November would be nill.

#16 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

Rx100V it has the hdmi bulkhead to connect the dp4 monitor. However it also work with integral flash that the rx100 has

That's not what you referred to in your earlier post; you advocated a "video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash."   I commented that they were unlikely to produce such a housing, to which you replied with a claim that Nauticam made a "video version" of the RX100 housing.  The clear implication of the two posts was that Nauticam had made a "video only" housing in the past which they simply have not.   

Edited by Draq, 16 September 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#17 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Zebra pattern feature, which I don't think Canon (G7x) has :

Panasonic has the best remote camera control feature:

A true time lapse feature that takes up to 9999 picture and create a video for you:

4K Frame capture:

Focus peaking:

It's really a capable video and photo device. Still waiting and see what make it different from the GH4.

If Nauticam have to have a tall housing like Olympus just to house the hot shoes flash, I think it's acceptable:

1079588.jpg

Edited by kc_moses, 16 September 2014 - 09:37 AM.

#18 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

That's not what you referred to in your earlier post; you advocated a "video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash."   I commented that they were unlikely to produce such a housing, to which you replied with a claim that Nauticam made a "video version" of the RX100 housing.  The clear implication of the two posts was that Nauticam had made a "video only" housing in the past which they simply have not.   

The camera is structurally different. If they had to do a V version for the lx100 it would be good to reduce the bulk by skipping the space for the flash

I also doubt a 24-75mm fixed lens is of any practical use for still images but that's another story

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#19 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2363 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Well, if Nauticam is smart enough, they should already have a solution just require minor tweaking, and they can sell more product!

http://www.uwphotogr...h-trigger-canon

I have been shooting in manual instead of TTL, so not having TTL is not really an issue for me. Finger cross, hopefully LX100 housing is being plan asap.

I've been looking for a camera to replace my RX100. I'm not satisfied with that camera's macro ability. This device makes the 100 a real contender.

I have a GX7 and love that camera. This looks like the closest compact camera equivalent.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#20 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

The LX100 won't be the solution. The lens is only 75mm equivalent and the depth of field not improved. You will get pretty close out of the box but things will look tiny in the frame

Possibly the canon 1" sensor camera will offer an improvement with a 100mm lens however rumour has it that the chip is the same as RX100 so won't be much better either

Is a bit of a compromise issue sensor size/aperture/depth of field. The best supermacro still comes from 1/1/.7" sensor cameras like the Powershot S or G series it is just the physics

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog