4 replies to this topic

#1 hubcapjoe

hubcapjoe

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much a complete beginner to underwater photography and filming and am hoping for some advice. I need to permanently mount an underwater camera to a boat, what features/functions should I be considering to ensure high quality, both viewing live and capturing photos/videos. What is important to me is high resolution, and being able to see through the water as far as possible. The camera will be around 1m below the surface, and next to a light, and will be displayed on a TV. 

For background, I work at a custom boat building company. We are going to mount a camera on the bottom of a boat we're building now to allow disabled and elderly passengers to be involved with the marine life. 

I appreciate any help. Cheers.

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:08 AM

Hmmm, that is an interesting idea.  I'm afraid that I can't offer much help, but one issue that immediately strikes me is that if it is permanently mounted, you will have to have some way of cleaning the lens (as well as the rest of it, but especially the lens), or the marine growth will obscure your view fairly quickly I would think.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

You can take the concept of boat with glass bottom. But create an "arm" compartment box that dip into the water about 1m long. Then lower the camera into that compartment from inside the boat. In this case, you can retrieve the camera for rewiring/service/replacement without go under the boat. You can just go under the boat to clean the "box" exterior easily.

#4 hubcapjoe

hubcapjoe

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

Thanks guys. The mounting and cleaning is not a worry, it will be mounted where it can be reached with a long handled brush. I'm hoping for some advice on the camera itself, what would be best for clarity, colour, focus, etc. in this kind of situation.

Cheers

#5 hyp

hyp

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

Any modern camera with a 1inch sensor or larger produces decent image quality these days. I would imagine that you might want a fairly wide FOV for a fixed camera like that, which is only offered by interchangeable lens cameras. You should also consider that right below the boat it will be fairly dark and adding light would probably be a sensible investment, although I'm not sure how exactly I would go about it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video, Filming, Beginner