• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

I'm considering either the 45 or 180 degree viewfinder for my Nauticam housing (Canon 5DmkIV.) The 45 degree seems like a good fit for macro shots, but how is it for wide angle? Any regrets going with the 45 for wide angle? Is it actually better than the 180 for wide angle? Not sure I'll get a chance to try before I buy. 

---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5Dmk4, Nauticam Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes

#2 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

I use the 45 for everything, incl WWL-1 and super-macro shots. Perfect for the latter, OK for the former.

#3 JamesR

JamesR

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

I also use the 45-degree for both. Takes a bit of practice for macro, easy for WA.

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)

#4 paolobl65

paolobl65

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

I also use 45 degree  for  both  .  In CFWA   the  45 viewfinder  is  very useful  if you want shot up  in limited space .

#5 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to try one out this weekend in Catalina. 

---------

#6 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

I liked it. I heard many people say that it takes around 5 dives to get used to it, but I took to it right away. I didn't try macro, just shot wide for three days. It was nice to clearly see the camera settings at the bottom of the viewfinder. I just ordered one. 

---------

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2176 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:07 AM

Good move, Jeff!

I've had mine for about 10 years and would now never have a housing without one. If you took to it with WA straight away, you are going to love macro.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#8 BDKulick

BDKulick

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:56 AM

Glad that you took to the finder so quickly. It took me a bit of getting used to when shooting very small subjects in vertical orientation with a 105mm macro lens. I use the 45 degree finder for the vast majority of my shooting, but prefer the straight finder for over/unders and most free-diving.

Life is short. Drink the good wine first.

#9 synthetic

synthetic

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

Huh, you made me realize I don't think I've ever taken a macro shot in portrait. Just automatically go landscape for macro. Food for thought. 

Yeah there was such great wide angle at Catalina last weekend that I never put the macro port on. We saw 3-7 giant sea bass on every dive. 

---------

#10 Magrone

Magrone

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:29 PM

45 is an essential tool for me now and I wouldn't consider trying to shoot without one,macro or wide. But there are limitations to its usefulness in wide and macro, namely shooting downward, and into the water column, esp at night. I think if you mainly shot downward, which is not something most people do anyway underwater, or did a lot of blackwater diving, I think a straight finder would be more suitable.

#11 Diver4fun

Diver4fun

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

Just wondering, do you need to have your mask very close to the viewfinder? Or can you see it from a distance. I like having a little bit of overview of my surroundings.

My Flickr underwater album - https://flic.kr/s/aHskUKoqFw

#12 woodnfish

woodnfish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

I have had a 45 degree for 4 or 5 years and love it. I think there are some now with adjustable magnification. This would be great for macro as the old eyes just are not what they used to be.

#13 SMY

SMY

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:photography, diving, hiking in the mountains and everything with an Apple on...

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:50 AM

First I had a 180 and thought it would be best....the result was always being to close to the ground / or gorgonias ....now I don't want to miss the 45er any more!

Nikon D850, Nauticam NA-D850 housing, Nauticam TTL-Converter 26308, 2 x INON Z330, Nikon 8-15 Fisheye, Nikon 16-35mm, Nauticam 230mm port, Zen170mm  Port, ULCS arms with StiX floats