• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

there is a PDF file with the most probably soon anounced EOS 5D specs. if it's true - this is my camera :lol:

http://alex.netfun.r...non5D-specs.pdf

Price is rumored around 3400 €

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#2 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

Oh, gawd, my fiancee will kill me when she finds out that there really is a "better" camera than the 20D I just purchased in March! :blink: I guess I should keep my hands out of the honeymoon fund!

On a different note, this (if true) is a little disconcerting to me. Canon seems to be going in the direction of full frame cameras even though they are developing the EF-S lenses to complement the crop sensor cameras!?! I find it hard to believe that they are going to continue developing "pro-sumer" crop sensor cameras and complimentary lenses along with a line of professional full frame cameras. That would leave a lot of people that have committed themselves to using EF-S lenses with no clear upgrade path! :lol: This is precisely the reason I've only purchased lenses compatible with full frame cameras to use with my 20D.

Argh! This is such a complicated and expensive hobby! :(
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#3 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

there is a PDF file with the probably soon anounced EOS 5D specs. if it's true - this is my camera :lol:

http://alex.netfun.r...non5D-specs.pdf

Price is rumored around 3400 €

Julian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks great. I may have to put that in the budget. Let's see 3400 Euros... should be around $3000 US. :blink:
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#4 Matetes

Matetes

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

Sorry, Herbko, but I think that 3400€ will be around 3900-4000 US $
mmmm............Sorry again :lol:
Matetes
Matetes
D70, Hugyfot housing, 2 Inon 220, Sea&Sea YS90,

#5 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

Sorry, Herbko, but I think that 3400€ will be around  3900-4000 US $
mmmm............Sorry again :lol:
Matetes

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was half joking. The cameras usually go for around the same number of euros and dollars even though there's a 20% currency difference. Just checked the price of a 20D in the US & Germany on the ebay sites of the respective countries and they are both around 1250. Also, by the time a housing is available, the price is likely to be 10% lower.
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#6 MDB

MDB

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

Looks awesome...however a larger viewfinder would have been nice

#7 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

Before Canon set EF-S as a new lens standard a lot of people did expect sensors to grow in the D60/10D class in the future. 1.6 crop had been considered as an affordable entrance to digital SLRs and time would allow to have full frame sensors below the 1D class too. Those people (including me) were a bit disappointed when Canon introduced the 20D and EF-S lenses (300D kit lens was considered more as a single exception at that time). Reasons: full frame hope was gone and EF-S didn’t work on their cameras. But there are still a lot of people left hoping for some camera between the 20D and 1D series. If the 5D is real, I think it’s a type of camera some people still have waited for.

I was wondering why Canon never introduced any EF-S L glass or something like the Nikon DX 10.5mm fisheye. Maybe this is the answer as Canon’s future semi pro class features full frame too.

Looks awesome...however a larger viewfinder would have been nice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the specs the viewfinder is much bigger than the 20D one's. A true full frame viewfinder, except not 100% coverage. It's only slightly smaller in comparison to the 1Ds (same magnification).

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#8 MDB

MDB

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Julian missed the magnification factor...Now I really want one

#9 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:13 PM

I want one, too. Start saving your pennies, ya'll!

Though the dimensions might not be the same between the 5D and the 20D, it looks like the number of buttons and their placement is fairly similar between the two. It'd be interesting to see if you could modify an existing 20D housing to fit the 5D.
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#10 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:23 PM

from the specs it's slightly bigger than the 10D.

20D: 144 x 106 x 72 mm
10D: 150 x 107 x 75 mm
5D: 152 x 113 x 75 mm

Julian

#11 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:07 PM

ISO 50 : for the sunburst shot. The bad news is I really need bigger strobes.

#12 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:UW photography with available light<br />Freediving

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

If it is true that we can 100% exect that Nikon will come with a new model untill Xmas

But maybe is a fake. I can imaging a pro model with a Printer button like the 10d

A friend off mine ist just come back from a visit to the Nikon factory in Taiwan and he have ask about a new Nikon model. They have only smile and say its come sooner that people expect.

Very very intresting !!!
Lambis Stratoudakis - http://www.lambisstratoudakis.com

#13 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:43 PM

It's still too much coin for me. :lol:
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#14 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

Ha Todd, do what i do and get paid in green backs instead of purple/blue/red/brown/green backs....

One more reason to hate Canon (so many choices) and Nikon (so freakin slow), i don't have the money anyways so i shouldn't talk.....boooo!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#15 jerome@gasava

jerome@gasava

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:35 AM

it s a fake
look at the top of the camera :

front side there s no pop up flash
rear side you can see one :lol:
www.imagebleue.com
Nikon d2x and Seacam Housing

#16 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:24 AM

There have been plenty of rumours flying around for a while that Canon would introduce a second full frame body later this year. This would be great for all Canon UW users as they would finally be able to use a full frame fisheye at sub 1DS prices.

My gut feeling is that this brochure is a hoax. But probably not that far from the truth on specs. I would expect them to use the 3D name (harking back to the excellent EOS 3 and also getting one up on the Nikon D2!). Or go for 30D as a step up from the 20D.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#17 motionsync

motionsync

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:UW photography with available light<br />Freediving

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:30 AM

I think to that this is a hoax but Is till feel that untill xmas there will be
some news from Canon & Nikon.

We only hope that do a great camera. For me I am waiting for a Nkon camera with the Autofocus system off the D2X lower Iso Noice and better viewfinder. About pixels I am not going crazy.

Lambis
Lambis Stratoudakis - http://www.lambisstratoudakis.com

#18 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1727 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

I'm intrigued - if you look at water resistance on the pdf brochure, it states NO! I cannot see a manufacturer actually printing this - far more likely to simply leave such a comment out. So I'll only believe this when I hear a full-blown Canon announcement!
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#19 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:00 AM

I don't wanna hear that, I want to place an order for this beautifull (fake-) camera <_<

In spite of the strange looking photos - I really hope something like this is coming soon ... Would love to have fisheyes and wideangles back.

Julian

#20 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:All forms of nature photography. Dive medicine. The ocean.

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:01 AM

3D release was rumored around the time I bought my 10D, I remember...

That camera in the photo is consumer build quality, it would be a big ask to charge 3-4000 USD for that. Second hand 1dS can be brought in good condition in that price range.

Canon is committed to full frame, unlike Nikon. The flagship Canon will always be full frame (the 1.3 crop may disappear in time , though). I'm sure you'll be able to buy a 1.6 crop camera for your EF-S lenses for a long time yet, though.

My guess is that this is a fake. Anyone want to bet a new 1DsMk3 on it? :lol:

Rob Whitehead

Shooting with Phase One and Canon. EWA-Marine Factory Test Pilot.

www.pilbaraphoto.com